Chap. 20: Kei

Kadaj is worse than what he’ll admit. He has gashes all over him. The worst are on his stomach. I try to help him up but he keeps resisting.

“Why won’t you let me help you?” I say trying to keep my breathing steady. I’m drowning myself in tears and I just got done screaming at the top of my lungs. “Please I want to help you.” He looks at me his eyes are searing with anger. I’ve never saw him this angry.

“Skylar could have healed me, it’s part of her power.” I suddenly regret some of the things I said, but I had to anyway.

“I know she can, but . . . I just had to get her away from us.”

“Why? Were you jealous or something? Don’t you remember that day she saved you from drowning? Remember how much you use to love being around her? So why would you do this, Keith? Why did you have to?” He only calls me Keith when he’s really angry and serious. I can’t tell him about the deal I made with Akaito though. He’d hate me forever.

“I can’t tell you why, but-”

“Why can’t you tell him? Doesn’t he deserve to know the truth?” I look across the pond and Akaito is standing there. “Won’t you please tell him that was just an act? That you made a deal with me.”

“Why are you doing this?” I say trying to keep back more tears.

“Keith, why would you do this?” I look down at Kadaj, blood has drained out him all over the wet grass. I can’t bear to look him in the eyes, because I know that I’ll just see disappointment in them. “Keith is that true? Did you do this because he told you to?”

“Of course he did. I told him in order to get your parents back, he must get rid of Skylar so I could simply capture her and take her into the government.” I look down at the ground while he’s explaining it. I can’t look at anyone. “But what he doesn’t know is that it was all an illusion.” I look up at him. “Your parents were the first killed on our rampage to clear out the town. Of course I wasn’t there. I didn’t even have my powers yet. I was told by the President, that the soldiers killed them with no mercy at all. There’s no way they would still be alive anyway.”

“How could I be so stupid?!” I slam my fists into the mud.

“Kei, you-” Kadaj reaches for me trying to console me, but I push him away.

“I have to get her back. I have to.” I look back to Akaito. “Where is she?!” He chuckles, and flips his ridiculously long hair. 

“It’s too late to get her back. We already have her in a helicopter on her way to the facility to be experimented on.” I clench my teeth as well as my fists. “Also she will be used for the war of course, front line. I’ll be cheering her on.”

“What war?” Kadaj asks, still weak from his blood loss.

“The Haldrin War, of course. She’s going to help destroy the ones she helped create, as well as soldiers from other countries. Better wish her luck.”

“I’m going to kill you!” I shout. I jump over Kadaj’s body, and charge towards Akaito.

“I shall take my leave now.” He bows quickly and then disappears right before I reach him. I stop in my tracks.

“I can’t believe I was so stupid! How could I fall for his tricks!?” I kick some flowers that were starting to bloom.

“Kei, it’s not your fault.” I look back at Kadaj. He’s been laying there dying this whole time.

“How can you say that? You’re dying right now because of me.” I plop down in the grass. “I don’t deserve to be here.”

“Of course you do. You’re having as much trouble as the rest of us. We’ll make it though this Kei. Together.” His voice is really soft and raspy. I shove my face into my hands and start to cry. I can’t hold it in anymore. 

“Oh my goodness! Children hurry I need help out here! Someone grab the First Aid kit from the bathroom as well!” Fostoria is shouting at the others. With all the shouting and screaming, I can’t see why they wouldn’t wake up. Someone wraps a blanket around me. 

“It’s OK. We can help you now. You’re not alone.” It’s Max. She’s in a night gown and her hair reaches the ground. “Come on, we have to get you inside.” She helps me to my feet and to the house. I don’t look up at all.

“Don’t you hate me?” I mutter. She sighs, or laughs.

“I could never hate you Kei. I’ve known you too long to be able to hate you for this.”

“Don’t worry. You will soon enough.”