Chap. 42: Skylar

“I can’t help but to feel like some of the others . . . you know, died.” I turn to face Axel.

“I feel like that too, but there isn’t anything we can do really.” He shrugs. Kadaj butts in the conversation.

“Where is Skylar? Is she in the last room with Christopher?” Axel and I stop dead and he gives me and evil glare. Kadaj, being ahead of us, stops as well. “What?”

“Ah nothing.” I answer back quickly. “She should be up there.” He nods and we all continue on. I can feel Axel’s gaze burn through me, but I act like I don’t notice.

I know I have to tell Kadaj, but I’m afraid he’ll hate me. Everyone else didn’t, sure, but I still have a feeling he just might. That’s why I have to be careful about it, and tell him at the right time. If there will ever be one. I know the moment I tell him I’m actually me though, I have to tell him I love him as well. I’m not sure if I’m exactly ready for that either.

This staircase seems to be the longest lasting of them all. The suspense of what waits for us at the top is just killing me. The fact that others are dead, is getting to me as well. I know I can’t be sure if they are actually gone forever, but just something in my gut tells me that they are.

“I think I see it.” Kadaj calls out from ahead. I let out a sigh, which is a mix between relief and fear. The other two don’t seem to be phased a bit. It might be a guy thing, or I’m just a complete and utter wuss. 

He twists the knob and swings it open almost immediately. He doesn’t hesitate even a second. We all pile in leaving the door open behind us. The room before us, is bare with nothing filling it but us. The walls are made of bricks that are at least three different shades. The floor though, is a white marble with a gold engraving of the dragon wrapped around the dagger. 

“This is defiantly the room, but where the hell are they?” Kadaj says a bit too angrily. We all wander into the center of the room and look around. There was in fact, no one here at all. There’s no way for anyone to get up either. Unless he’s been following us up the whole time and once we left he killed off our friends. This thought frightens me, but I doubt it’s possible.

“I guess he’s just running late.” Axel says turning to me. He crosses his arms and gives me a smug look, “Now we have time for Lync to share that little secret of his.” I ball up my fist, but I try to hold back the anger.

“Yeah, what is this secret?” Kadaj asks, coming up behind me and placing a hand on my shoulder. I flinch as he does, and I scramble my mind on ways to tell him.

“Uh . . . well . . .”

“Allow me to help.” An unfamiliar voice growls. We all quickly look around in search of it’s origin, but again no one is present. I hear a cracking of wood above me, and I slowly turn my attention to the ceiling.

There attached to the wooden beams keeping this place up, is a giant oil-colored dragon. Who seems to be staring at me with his electric green eyes. There’s no need for introductions either, it’s obvious to me who he is.

Without warning he releases his grip on the beams, hurling towards me. I stay where I am even though both the guys run out of the way. They even shout at me, telling me to move, but I stay put. I know he won’t end it this quickly, it would ruin the fun.

Just when he’s about to land on me, his wings unfold filling most of the room and he hovers. Before he speeds off though, he reaches down with one of his talons and tears off the wig on my head. I grab at my hair trying to keep it all hidden, but it’s too late. I can’t believe I didn’t see something like that coming.