Chap. 28: Skylar

I sit in their bathroom alone. I wasn’t going to let one of them try to take care of me and figure out I’m not actually a guy. I can’t believe they even think I’m one even after picking me up.

“You OK in there?” Kadaj asks through the door.

“Yeah, I just have one last bandage to put on.” I wrap my thigh, and put on some of Kadaj’s clothes. He wouldn’t let me put the uniform back on because it was bloody. His clothes smell really good, and they’re a bit big on me. I’m a scrawny guy though, so I guess it’s OK.

I walk out and find Axel is in the kitchen making food, and Kadaj is sitting on the couch watching TV. This place looks just like a condo, it’s so fancy. Kadaj looks over at me.

“Those fit OK?” I nod as I fix the collar on the shirt he let me borrow.

“It’s a little big, but it works.” I lift up my arm and the long sleeved shirt dangles loosely around my scrawny arms.

“We never learned your name.” Axel says from the stove.

Oh crap. I think. I never thought of coming up with a name. I look out at the window, and see the sea, and then I look over at Axel and see him adding salt into the pan.

“Sea Salt.” I say in a panic. I then face palm myself. What a stupid name.

“And that’s a nickname?” I raise my head. Then I think for a moment before I speak, just so nothing stupid comes out again. 

“Yeah, I use to live by the sea until I worked for Akaito, and I always smelt like the salty sea because I was there every day, so that’s what they called me.” It seems to convince them, but I have to admit, it sounds really lame.

“So you got a real name? Maybe we can call you that instead.” I think, but I don’t show it. “It’s OK if you don’t want us to know.” I go along with it.

“It’s not that, it’s just it’s a really lame name and you’re going to laugh.”

“Can it be lamer than Sea Salt?” Axel shouts over from the kitchen. I laugh, and so does Kadaj. I have to think of one though. I scramble through my mind and try to find something. 

“It’s OK, you can make up a name and start from a new beginning.” 

“My real name is Lync. Its lame I know, but my parents were just those kinds of people I guess.” Kadaj rubs his chin, analyzing the name. Will he know it’s a fake? Will he know that it’s me?

“Well it sounds cool, and better than your nickname, so we can call you that.” I nod, it sounded good to me. I didn’t really care what they called me, as long as it wasn’t Skylar. “So what’s your power exactly?” I can’t tell them I have wings, because it’s impossible for two Haldrins to have the same power.

“I haven’t really figured it out yet. I wasn’t told and it’s not really obvious, so right now I have no clue.” At least this lie will hold them off for a while.

“Well maybe we can help you figure it out, but right now it’s time to eat.” Axel says from the kitchen. “Afterwards we need to get some sleep for the competition tomorrow.” We make our way to the kitchen.

I lay on the couch, I chose to sleep out since it would be awkward for me to sleep in the same room as them. I can at least stare outside at the stars, and be alone with my thoughts. I have to figure out how I’m going to do this. The first day was hard enough. I don’t know if I can make it through anymore. How long was this going to last? I will have to tell them sometime.

“Lync?” I look over the arm of the couch and find Kadaj standing there. “Sorry to wake you.”

“It’s OK, I couldn’t get to sleep anyway.” I sit up so he can sit next to me. “Everything OK?” He sighs as he plops down.