Chap. 10: Axel

We all sit around on the craggy cave floor. We’re trying to figure out how we can try and find Skylar. She left us last night with no warning. We all believe that she can survive on her own. It’s just that we’re worried about her.  

“So how do we do this?” Meela speaks up. We look around at each other, but no one says anything else.

“I think we should just leave her out there, and if she wants to be with us to let her come back.” Seth announces from his corner. “She can find her way back I’m sure.”

“We can’t just leave her out there, especially with those things after her. Plus, she didn’t take anything with her, so she could starve to death.” Dan surprisingly chimes in. 

“How about we split up into two groups then, guys and girls. We guys will go west and the girls will go east. Agreed?” I suggest. Everyone takes a minute to consider, and then all nod in agreement. 

“We can leave in the morning.” Alice says. “But what if we never see each other again?” We all look around at each other for an answer, but it’s we who has it this time.

“It’s a chance we have to take. I know there’s a possibility of it, and I know we have no way of knowing if the other group has found her or not, but we have to. If either of us finds a town we can stay there and try to blend in. We have to do it . . . for Skylar.” I wonder if it was too obvious. 

I love Skylar. I’m not sure if she feels the same way, but I want to always stay by her side and protect her at all costs. When I first met her, back when I saved her, I felt like it was my duty to save her. I have to keep her alive and safe no matter what.

“Well let’s get some sleep. We shall part in the morning.” Leo explains as he stands and walks over to lie on the earth. I stand as well, and do the same.

I may not be sure about some things, but there is one thing I am sure about. I will, no matter what it takes, I will keep Skylar alive and safe.