Chap. 4: Kadaj

I let her get away this time because first of all she had someone with her and it wouldn’t be as easy, and I had to wait for Kei. 

I sit on the ground and lean against the tree. I really wanted to stop her, to talk to her again. When they told me of the mission, they told me that she had no memories of who she was or anything, but I didn’t care. I loved her then, and I still love her now. She never knew though. 

“Hey where is she?” Kei lowers himself on Kyoko. Hikaru comes running around the tree to greet them.

“She had someone with her so I allowed her to escape.” I lean back and put my hands behind my head, closing my eyes. Kei plops down next to me.

“I’m hungry and tired!” He slumps to the ground. He lies on his back with his arms and legs sprawled out. I can tell he had to do a lot to stop the white coats from chasing after Skylar.

“Thanks for your hard work. Ride on one of your Ralfrins, we’ll search for some shelter where you can rest as I seek out some food.” He groans and Hikaru lowers to the ground allowing him to climb aboard. I stand and start making my way down a path of dead grass. It seems to have been made just for me. How convenient. 

I follow along to path for miles, and I finally come along a giant rabbit hole. At first I think it’s just a ditch until I watch the family of rabbits run from it. I kneel down and find that it’s in fact large enough for both of us to fit in. It really looks like an underground cave. I wonder why it’s so big.

I reach over and shake Kei awake. “Hey I found a place, but your Ralfrins are going to have to sleep outside.” He wearily rubs his eyes and mumbles something that I don’t quite catch, but he slides off Hikaru and down into the whole. “Thanks for watching out for him you two.” I pat both of them on the head. “I promise I’ll build both of you a shelter tomorrow.” I then enter the burrow myself. When I see Kei, it seems like he’s hugging a rabbit, but as I get closer I can tell it’s a Ralfrin by its appearance. 

It has a cat’s body, a rabbit’s ears and back legs. It’s actually really cute. 

“This is Sakura.” He mutters.

“She’s cute.” I say reaching over betting the soft ginger and white fur of Sakura.

“Mmhmm.” Kei then tightens his clutch on Sakura and drifts off to sleep. I snuggle down into the burrow, and close my eyes. I know I won’t be able to sleep easily, but I still try my best. 

I end up playing my violin. I know no one will hear me, and I’m restless, and this is the only way I can settle down. Music is the only way to express myself fully. I was never the best player, and Skylar was the best ever. Everyone would always shun me for playing, the only one whoever told me that I was good, or encouraged it was Skylar. “Never give up on your music.” I can practically hear her say.

When my song ends there’s applause. I look around to find a pair sitting high in the trees. “That was an amazing song.” Someone leaps from his perch and lands just a few feet ahead of me. “Too bad you’re horrible at playing it.” Of all people I don’t need to hear it from him.

“What are you doing here Akaito?” I lean down and put the violin in its case, trying to seem a lot less intimidated than what I really am.

“We’re not allowed to visit our favorite brother?” His voice is teasing me. He always talks like that to me. 

“Just because we’re both Haldrins does not mean we are brethren. Now leave.” I stand as I swing the case onto my shoulder.

“Oh I beg to differ.” I feel a hand on my shoulder, and soon he’s right by my side. “If we aren’t brethren, then explain to me . . .” He’s now back in the tree next to his partner. “Why we are so much alike?”

“I‘m nothing like you, nor will I ever be.” Hikaru appears at my side. He seems as annoyed as I am. 

“We mean no harm brother-dear, we’re only here to send a message.” She leans against the trunk and sprawls her legs out along the branch. “He said ‘It’s only been the first day, but we must have her tomorrow, or the messengers will take over.’ Meaning we’ll take over. We also need to give you these.” She throws down three swords and a revolver, with sheaths for them all.

“Well I have it taken care of. There’s no need for you to step in.”

“Well there better not be.” Akaito appears behind me again, his back to mine. “And remember, we’ll be watching.” With that he materializes next to the girl. He grabs hold of her arm, and they disappear.

Hikaru and I let out a sigh of relief. Those two bring nothing but trouble when they’re around. Now I have to make sure I get Skylar. I can’t let her be taken in by someone else, but I wonder if I can find her by tomorrow. I look up to the stars.

“Skylar where ever you are . . . good luck.”