Chap. 31: Skylar

I sit here in the audience, violin on my back, prepared to run as soon as it’s over. It’s the perfect timing. I didn’t even plan on coming, I was just going to leave while they were here performing, but they made me come to support them. Don’t get me wrong, I want to be here, but it just makes it that much harder to just run.

Everyone else played, and now it’s Kadaj’s turn. When he walked out here, I could tell he was troubled. Something was scrambling around in his mind, and it was obvious. He keeps looking at me. He plays fantastically though, forgetting all that he was worried about. He finally finishes, and the first person he looks at is me. It makes me feel special, that it’s my approval that he wants first. I give him a thumbs up, and I try to hold back tears, because I know that this happy moment won’t last long for him as soon as he realizes I’m planning to run.

He walks backstage, prouder than he was when he walked out. I get up to leave just as they walk back out to announce the winner. I look up at him as he walks out, and he looks right at me. Straight into my eyes, and at that moment, I just can’t take it anymore. I don’t want to cause him pain. He stands there and stares at me as Axel jumps on him. They won, but he doesn’t feel like he has.

I bolt for the door, not looking back. I have to just keep running. As soon as I hit the door, I can hear someone running after me, calling my fake name, but I still run because I know who it is. I run through all the halls, my footsteps echoing in the emptiness of them. There’s not just mine though, there’s another pair of feet running behind me, trying to catch up.

I make it out to the courtyard, hearing my name being called behind me. I stop, right in the middle or the yard. I listen to the footsteps get closer.

“Stay away!” I shout, my eyes shut, trying to keep back the tears which isn’t working. The footsteps stop.

“Lync.” I can hear the pain in his voice. This wouldn’t be the first time I’ve caused this pain either.

“No. Stay away from me. He’ll take control of me again and make me fight you. I’d just hurt you even more.” My voice is trembling, as well as my body. I don’t want to do this anymore.

“But you’ve never hurt me, and I don’t care if you do. As long as we’re together, that’s all that matters.” I shake my head.

“I only wish it was that simple.” I start to bolt towards the gate.

“You still have a lot to learn, you think it’s about time to teach him my pet.” I stop breathing and running completely now. This situation is going downhill real fast. “Don’t you think we should jazz this scene up a bit. I can take control over you just as you said, maybe I should do just th-”

“No! Leave him alone! He just wants a normal life, and he’s never done anything wrong! Why does he deserve this!?” Kadaj is standing up for me, even if I did turn against him and cause him so much pain. Akaito just laughs, being totally amused by this whole thing. I’m starting to wonder if that whole sob story earlier was a big lie, or if it’s really true.

“Well, well. Time to teach him how to treat me, my pet.” My whole body soon becomes numb, I can’t move a single limb. My mind goes blank then, I can’t think for myself.  He lied.