Chap. 22: Kadaj

When I wake up I’m in my room. I’m shirtless and bandages are wrapped around my stomach. I try to sit up, but my wounds hurt too much, so I lay back down. 

“Kadaj, you need to relax. Just stay in bed and you’ll get better in no time.” I look over to my side and I see Skylar’s smiling face. It comforts me for a second, and then she fades away. 

That’s right. She’s gone, Kei told her to leave. I sigh, and look at the ceiling. I have to go find her, I can’t wait either. I don’t care if I have to go alone, I’m going to find her somehow. I sit up again, cringing from the pain. I try to ignore it though as I make my way to my feet. I put my hand to my head. I feel lightheaded and dizzy, but as soon as it passes I walk to my door, limping. 

“What do you think you’re doing?” I look behind me and Skylar is standing there. I know it’s not really her, but at least I can talk the imaginary one.

“I’m going out to find you.” She laughs.

“Baka.” She walks over and hits my head with her fist. It feels real too, like she’s actually here. “You’re hurt, I’ll be fine. Just go back to bed and heal up.” I ignore her orders and continue to my door.

I open it and find Alice standing there. “Where do you think you’re going?”

“I’m going to find Skylar. Now get out of my way.” She sighs and shakes her head. She moves aside.

“I’m not stopping you, but I’m not letting you go alone.” She looks up at me with a smile. Everyone else makes their way into the hallway except Kei.

“None of us will let you go alone.” Leo says. 

“Thanks guys, but are all of you sure you want to put your lives in danger?” I ask trying to lean up against the wall and not make it too obvious. 

“We’re all sure. We’d all give our lives for her.” Axel pushes his way through so he’s standing right in front of me.

“I’m not going to put all of you in danger though. So I get to choose who goes with me.” Some of them nod, some groan. I won’t put all of them in harm’s way, so I plan on only taking one other person. I have to think it over though to make it’s the right decision.

“Fine, but you have to wait till tomorrow to leave. Go get some rest, eat breakfast in the morning, pack then leave.” Fostoria makes her to me and then hugs me. I have to bend down to hug her, and she whispers something in my ear. “Go talk to your brother. I think he needs your forgiveness more than anything.” She releases me with a smile, and then turns to everyone else. “OK, OK, let’s all get to bed. He’ll announce who is leaving tomorrow at breakfast.”

No one argues and leaves to their rooms. Once they’re all in theirs, I limp my way to Kei’s. I knock on the door and no one answers. 

“Kei, can I talk to you?” I hear footsteps inside the room and then the door opens. Kei stands there. His eyes are all red and puffy from all the crying he’s done. I walk in, and sit down on the floor next to his tatami bed.

He sits next to me, “I thought you hated me.” I laugh and tousle his new blond curls. He pushes my hand away, “What’s so funny?”

“I could never hate you. You’re my brother.” He shrugs. “Anyway, I need to tell you something. I’m leaving tomorrow to go look for Skylar, and I’m only taking people I choose to go with me.”

“I’m one of those people right?” We sit here and look at each other. Either by the silence or the look in my eyes, he figures the answer. He stands up in anger, “I have to go with you Kadaj! This was all my fault and I want to help fix it!” I just sit here and stare out his window now. It’s still raining and a chilling breeze blew through it. I shivered, being that I’m shirtless.