Chap. 38: Kei

It’s been a few days since the others have left. Dan hasn’t communicated with me at all, which makes me kind of worried. I sit in the living room reading, while Fostoria is cooking and Max is out back taking care of the plants. They could either just be busy or occupied, or something went wrong. I’m not the only one worrying though. I sit in the living room reading, while Fostoria is cooking and Max is out back taking care of the plants.  Fostoria constantly asks me if I have heard anything, and Moxie is just glum. I’m getting sick of it though, we need something to keep our minds off of it.

“Kei, do you mind going out into town and doing some shipping for me?” Fostoria shouts from the kitchen. I close my book and walk over to put it on its shelf.

“No problem.” I need something to do anyway.

It’s still early in the morning, so the sidewalks are full of people. Here in this town people shop early, the earlier you get something done the better.

I’ve already stopped at all the stores and gotten everything needed. I’m heading back home, and I notice that there are people all around passing out flyers about town events. I stop at some to try and find something to do for the few weeks that the others are gone. Something to keep Max and Fostoria happy and occupied. 

“Town Festival tonight! Food stands, games and more! Fun for everyone!” I look a few blocks ahead and there’s a guy handing out some flyers. I run up to him and take one. I scan the paper as I make my way home. From what I’m reading, it does seem like a lot of fun. For once in a long while, I smile because I am truly, somewhat, happy.

“Hey girls, don’t make any plans for tonight. We’re going to a festival.” I set the bags full of food on the floor for a moment as I take off my shoes. Max comes walking down the hall. She picks up a bag, but she just stands there.

“What do you mean we’re going to a festival?” I look up at her as I untie my sneaker. She doesn’t look pleased at all.

“The flyer is in that bag you have.” She rustles around in the bag, and finally pulls it out. She skims over it, and then looks down at me. I stand up, picking up the other bag. “I’m taking no for an answer, you and Fostoria are going.” I say as I walk past her. She follows me down the hall into the kitchen. Fostoria is sitting at the table looking at some recipes like she always is, trying to find new things to make.

“Hey Fossy, this boy here says he’s taking us to a festival tonight.” She looks up at us as we walk in and place the bags on the table.

“He is huh?” I look down at her and smile.

“Yes, I am. We need to do something about this gloomy atmosphere. I am taking you two, and you are going to have fun and cheer up.” I set the bag on the table in front of her. I sit down myself and start to pull out the contents of it.

“Well I’m looking forward to it.” Fostoria smiles at me. It makes me happy that I’ve done something more for her. She’s always done stuff for me, and I’ve really never done anything to repay her. “We need to take care of things though before we leave.” I nod, and look up at Max. She looks surprised that Fostoria said that, but then she smiles.

“I can’t wait either.” She says as she smiles at me. “So what all are we going to do there?” She sits down and joins us at the table.

“Well there are a bunch of food stands, games and they have antique stores and everything. They have rides too, so we could spend all night there. As a matter of fact, this would be the first festival I have ever been to. Maybe that’s why it’s so exciting to me as well. I can only imagine riding on the Ferris wheel or waiting at the top of the hill on a roller coaster ready to speed right down it. I can even try cotton candy, or other Festival food.” Max laughs at me, which I take offence to. “What’s so funny?”

“Nothing, it’s just that you sound like such a kid going on about this.” I scowl at her. “Hey, don’t get me wrong. I’m looking forward to all that stuff too. We can finally have a time to enjoy ourselves instead of having to worry about anything.”

“Well let’s get everything taken care of around the house so we can leave.” Fostoria says standing up, and making her way into the hall way.

“But it’s only ten in the morning.” I state. She looks over her shoulder at me and smiles greatly.

“The sooner we get there the longer you have to do these things. I also could do some shopping there.” She exits the room leaving Max and I sitting at the table surprised. We look at each other and end up laughing.

“That is so like my grandmother.” I say as I stand myself. “Why don’t you go help Fostoria, I’ll go take care of Kiara.”

I make my way outside and find Kiara looking into the pond. I walk over and stand next to her, I look down at the pond to see what she’s looking at. We both sit here and stare at Hikaru floating among the water. I rush into the water and swim over to him. When I reach him, he’s still breathing and alive. I try my best to pull him to shore, but I only get him a few feet closer. 

“Hikaru, please wake up!” I shout trying to shake him awake, but he won’t. “Please…” Kiara makes her way into the water, and swims underneath me so I’m now on her back. I hold on tight to her fur, as she grabs Hikaru with her mouth. She pulls us both to shore, and we all just lie there in a wet heap.

Master, I think he was just flying home being sent by someone, and got exhausted. There’s no real need to worry. Kiara says in my mind, trying her best to comfort me. It’s not helping though, I do need to worry. Why would they send him back? What if they needed help and sent him home to send the message.

“I just need him to wake up and then I can stop worrying.” I sit up and look over at him. Kiara was right, he does look exhausted. “I guess I just need to let him rest for now. Kiara, Max, Fostoria and I are going to a festival, and won’t be back until later tonight. Do you think you can watch over him till then?”

Yes, or course. He is my brother after all. I will call to you if anything important happens. She stands up and shakes the water off her thick coat, getting me wet once again. I laugh while putting my hands up in attempt to block them. I haven’t heard you laugh like that in a while, Master.

“Well things have been hard on us, but thank you Kiara.” I wrap my arms around her. “You’re one of the best friends someone could ever have. Now just take care of him for now, and have fun. We’ll be back.” I release her, and she walks over to Hikaru. She lifts him onto her back and takes him to the shed. I walk back to the house, but I can’t be sad about this. I have to be happy in order for the other two to be happy.

“Ready to leave?” Fostoria asks as I walk through the door. Max standing next to her, both dressed and ready to leave.

“Yup.” I reply, putting on the best smile I can.