Chap. 7: Skylar

I now stare up at the stars. When I woke up, everyone else was already asleep around me. I tried my best to not wake any of them when I got up to come out here. I actually flew up on top of the rocky lair so no one can find me if they do wake. 

One of them you cannot trust, and the most important one, the one who will help you figure out the most, you have yet to meet. Her words replay over and over again in my mind. What on earth do they mean?

“Hey Sky.” Axel takes a seat next to me. “What’s up, you seem . . . not yourself.”

“Well you wouldn’t either if . . .” I look over and he’s staring right at me, which makes me even more nervous about telling him this. 

“If what?” He changes his gaze from me to the bulbs lighting up the sky. I can see that he’s trying to make me feel less uncomfortable, and it’s working. With him, it just seems like everything is OK, like nothing bad will ever happen.

“Well, I kind of wasn’t asleep.” He doesn’t react at all. He doesn’t even look surprised. He just sits there looking up listening, which is how I like it. I join him and stare up at the distant lights myself. “My mom called my soul to her so she could warn me about something that’s going on. Someone’s out there trying to figure out what my powers are, and . . .” My voice starts cracking as the tears flow. “And . . . my mother is paying for it. She won’t tell them and they’re destroying her for it!” I’m screaming now because I’m so infuriated. I can’t believe she won’t just tell them, I want her to stop suffering because of me.

I want to continue my fit, but Axel grabs me. He pulls me close to him. He’s so warm compared to my clammy self. “It’s OK Sky. We’re here to help you, nothing bad will happen anymore, I promise.” I clutch his shirt and let the tears come. I plan on staying like till they stop, and Axel doesn’t seem to mind either. 

“Thank you.” I mutter through stifled breaths. 

In the morning, I wake up next to Axel. I think I cried myself to sleep and he brought me in here. His arm is around me, which causes my face to burn red when he opens his eyes. His handsome green eyes look right into mine. 

“I see you’re finally done crying.” He smiles his mesmerizing smile. I smile back not saying anything, I can’t bring myself too. I put my head forward so he can’t see my face. When I look back up at him, my smile fades as I remember the fact his arm is around me. His face quickly turns red as well. “I’m sorry.” He pulls his arm out from underneath me, and sits up to hide his embarrassment. 

“It’s OK.” I say also sitting up. My wings are hidden, I finally figured out how to do it, Seth had helped me with it since he had the same trouble with his wings a few years ago.

“I guess we better get ready for the day.” He says. He stands up and starts to make his way out of the cave. Everyone else was already up and out of the cave. 

I get up myself and run over to pounce on his back. “Give me a ride I’m too tired!” I say, laughing as I wrap my arms around his neck.

“Fine! But you better hang on!” He chuckles back. He grows his ears and tails and starts running in circles. We laugh and as I cling to his back, until a cloaked figure shows up in front of us. We both stop immediately. 

“Gosh you guys are loud.” He eyes up Axel. “I need to talk to you alone.” I jump of his back. I watch his ears bend back in anger before I exit the cave. 

No one else seems to be outside the cave except for Alice. I motion for her to come over and help me listen on the guys’ conversation. She makes her way over with no hesitation as if she loved to do this kind of thing.