Chap. 8: Kadaj

“Wake up!” I shout as I shake Kei. “Come on! Please get up!” When I got back, Kyoko was slain, Sakura was cowering in the burrow, and Kei was knocked out. “Keith Deltry wake up now!” No answer. He lays out cold in my arms. Anger runs down both my cheeks, I can only imagine who did this, and exactly why. I lift him as I stand.

Hikaru trots over, and I place him on his back. I swipe my face with my arm, ridding of any leftover tears. I look over at the heap of red fur, left an even deeper red now. Kyoko, she lays there motionless.

I think as I act, and I move the ponderous animal into the burrow. I gather up some leaves and cover the opening, I know it won’t be much protection from the other animals, but it really is the best I can do. I search for a few moments, and I finally find enough small rocks to spell out ‘Kyoko’. I step back to observe it.

It didn’t look like much, but it still makes my heart break. I didn’t know her for too long, but I did end up developing feelings for these creatures. They’re real breathing mammals. They have a right to live.

I kneel down on one knee, and Hikaru bows. “I’m sorry it had to end like this. You were the first Ralfrin to come to this world, and first to leave. You have helped us well on this journey, and will never forget you. We’ll miss you, Kyoko.” I stay on the ground, drowned with sorrow. I eventually force myself to stand, and sling my violin case on my shoulder. “Let’s go Hikaru, we better get moving.”

We travel through timberland towards where I had last seen Skylar. It’s not just for her either, I have to look out for the others too, and they are my kind. My stomach screams at me reminding me of how much I haven’t eaten lately. I decide I can keep a look out for food on the way, but I can’t stop. I still have no clue where Sakura went either. I just hope she’s alive. 

“Hey, Kadaj?” I glance over at Kei, but he’s still knocked out. I look over my shoulder, and I see a girl with citrine eyes surrounded wavy pale brown locks, with streams to match her eyes.

“What could you possibly want?” I snap back. At this point in time, she is the last person I want to talk to. 

“You know that I’ll do anything for you, and I won’t do something if you don’t want me to.” She comes from behind and wraps her arms around my torso.

“I know this Jasmine, but right now, I just need to be alone.” I rip her lock apart. “Considering what you let Akaito do, I don’t think it was smart to come and talk to me.”

“I tried to stop him, honestly I did.” I don’t say anything. I know she didn’t, she’s just saying that so I’ll forgive her. We both know that she’s a baby when it comes to Akaito though. “I’ll leave you for now, but remember Kadaj, I love you and I’ll be back.” I feel a wave of heat on my backside, and it quickly dies out. I was finally alone again.

I lean against a tree to take a break. I forgot how far away it is, almost two miles or so. Hikaru comes and slides Kei off his back so he lies next to me, then goes off somewhere.

At a time like this, I would play my violin, but I don’t feel up to it. I’m exhausted, hungry, and depressed. I’m ready to just give up on everything. I just can’t believe the day I’ve had. Everything was going so well, just to be destroyed.

“You should have told her you loved her back.” Kei’s awake. 

“Well I don’t tell lies.”

“She would’ve done anything for you. You could have made her get us burgers or something good.”

“But isn’t that just using her?”

“Have you ever heard of friends with benefits? This is that situation . . . kind of. We pretend to be her friend. She gets us what we need. It’s a win, win since she’s obsessed with you.” We both laugh. I’m glad that at least he can cheer me up.