Chap. 13: Kadaj

After I left Skylar and Kei behind, I have nothing left but my weapons, which I know I won’t enjoy using. I’m so stupid to leave them behind, but at least their safe from any harm I’ll bring them. It’s for the best.

I’ve been traveling on foot for days now, without any food or water. It’s been tough but I’m determined to get as much space between us as possible. No more people will get hurt because of me. I wonder if Skylar felt the same way and that’s why I found her alone. 

I fall to my knees from exhaustion. I just don’t think I can go an further. I crawl over to lean against a tree. I have to rest just a little bit. I look up to the sky and I see a shadow fly past, followed by two others. Of course, I know who they are, and I’m glad. Maybe they will make it to reasonable city and survive there. If Kei’s smart enough, he’ll take her to Fostoria’s place. That’s the safest place for her that I can think of.

I close my eyes, and slip in slumber, hoping to dream of better time.

I’m awakened by someone yelling. I rub my eyes, and sit up to see what the ruckus is. I find that it is Meela, running towards me. When she reaches she bends down and surveys my condition.

“Kadaj, you’re alive! We need to get you to somewhere warm, you look terrible, no offense. We stopped to camp not too far away, and I heard something suspicious, so I came and checked on it. I’m so glad that it was you.” I give a weakened laugh, which bring a smile to her face. “Everyone wanted to say thanks for helping us defeat that Akaito guy. We wouldn’t have done it without you there.”

“People only get hurt because of me. I don’t belong anywhere.” Hearing this makes Meela worried.

“What are you talking about, we need you. No one got hurt, well I did, but still we want you with us Kadaj.” She tries to help me to my feet but I resist and stay put. “You sure are stubborn aren’t you? I’ll just go get some of the others to help.”

She starts to walk back, when I feel a strange presence. I’m not sure what it is at first, but then later, I remember what, or rather who it is. I try to stand as fast as I can, and start running in her direction.

“Meela get down! He’s trying to get you!” She starts to turn around, but before she can do anything, he flies down in front of her and slices her across her stomach. It’s like everything is in slow motion, I can’t get to her in time. Her face is emotionless. Then she collapses to the ground face first.

“That’s one down, just a few more to go. You know, this is really easy.” He leans back looking at me from the corner of his eye. He looks down to his weapon, wet with red, with an evil grin. “Thank you for leading me to the targets.” 

“Akaito you’ll pay for this!” I say, attempting to attack him. He smacks my face with the flat of his sword, and I drop right next to Meela. I can feel her slowing breaths on my face.

“You pathetic fool. The President’s real plan was to never have you annihilate of these threats because he knew you had a heart. He just simply used you knowing you’d lead us to them.” He walks off chuckling at his victory. I open my eyes and stare into Meela’s. 

“I’m sorry. I truly am. I have nothing to do with that guy.” She just lays there gazing at me, breathing heavily. “I didn’t mean for any of this to happen . . .”

“Stop it. I know. I don’t blame you, no one does. I trust you.” She reaches over and passes something into my hand. I sit up and turn her over to hold her.

“You can’t die Meela you have to hang on, everyone will blame me.” She shakes her head.

“No one will blame you, I promise.” She stares at me with her blank eyes. “You know what? I just noticed that I never even got the chance to try my powers. I’m glad everyone else gets to use theirs.”“Meela you still can, you have to stay with us.” I have nothing I can do but try to get her to hold on. I can only imagine what the others would say if I came back with her body dangling in my arms. She just ignores me, closes her eyes and continues to give her speech.

Tainted Wingsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें