Chap. 37: Akaito

Lync, Kiera and Leo all went for food. Alice and Dan went out for water. Kadaj and axel went out to find stuff for a fire. Which means I’m stuck here with Jasmine, and I’m pretty sure she’s as thrilled about it as I am. I have to make these people trust me as much as I can. I really have changed, I never even wanted to work for my father, but I really had no choice.

After everyone leaves, I start to clear an area to put the fire. While I’m working, I look over my shoulder to see what Jasmine is doing. I stiffen up at the sight of her sitting there and staring at me. I try to ignore it and get back to work, but every time I look back her stare gets harsher. 

“Is there a reason why you’re staring at me the way you are?” She jumps at the sound of my voice. Then her fierce look returns.

“Why now?” I turn around and look at her. “Why did you decide to join us now? Is it some kind of trick and you’re just pretending to be on our side? I mean you joke a lot, so how do we know if you’re being truthful?” She leans forward and pants her face on her hand. “Why?” I stare at her for a moment. I laugh.

“You know Jasmine.” When I say her name she jumps again. “I never really had a choice which side I wanted to be on. The President is my father, so he naturally made me work for him. It doesn’t mean I liked it.”

“How do I know you aren’t just kidding around and lying?” I think for a moment.

“You know, I may joke around a lot, but I never lie.” She looks up at the sky thinking it over. I go back to clearing the area.

“So if I asked you if you’d fall for me, what would you say?” I stop dead and turn around to look at her. She’s still looking up at the sky. I’ll admit, sitting here looking at her, she doesn’t look half bad. I’ve worked for her for a few years now, but I never really thought of her in that way. I turn back around and get back to work.

“Don’t ask such questions out of the blue. I’m four years older than you.” She laughs.

“Age is but a number.”

I roll my eyes and smile, “Whatever you say, now get your ass over here and help me.” She sighs and walks over. She bends down next to me. I look at her out of the corner of my eye. “So are you falling for me?” I ask. Her expression doesn’t change at all.

“I’ve always kind of liked you. Even when I was ‘obsessed’ with Kadaj as people like to say. You’ve always been nice to me no matter what, even if you were embarrassed by it when we worked together. You always looked out for me, even if you deny it, I know you did.” I don’t answer or argue. It’s true though. I’ve always protected her and everything, I guess I do like her. “Say Akaito.”

“Yeah?”

“If we defeat your father, that means you’re the president right? I mean it’s not really a democracy anymore, so the son of the president would be next in line, correct?” I consider it.

“I guess so. I just have to stay alive to have such a thing to happen though.” I smile thinking about it. She looks at me with sorrow in her eyes. I look at her, and her expression turns to determination.

“I’ll make sure it happens.” She says. We stare at each other. I look away though and laugh. “What’s so funny!?” She says getting mad.

“I think I am falling for you.” I look back at her and she looks shocked, but somewhat happy. She finally smiles, she looks so pretty when she smiles.

“What’s going on here?” Leo appears between both of us. We both jump back frightened. Even Leo jumps back from surprise. “Whoa I just asked what you guys were doing.” I look over at him and he has a deer over his shoulder. Behind him stand Kiera with a few birds in her hands.

“Just don’t sneak up on us like that next time.” I look beyond Kiera. “I thought Lync was supposed to be with you two.”

“He was, but she told us her secret and Lync accidently saw so we left them two alone to discuss it.” She says as she makes her way over to Leo.

“What secret? And what do you mean by she?” Damn, I forgot Jasmine didn’t know. I look over at her and she looks so confused. I let out a sigh, I guess there’s no way to avoid it. I mean there are probably ways to, but I don’t feel like lying to her.

“Well actually, Lync isn’t just Skylar’s twin. He is Skylar.” I say it quickly just to get it out of the way. “You can’t tell Kadaj though. Right now I think he’s the only that doesn’t know, so keep it to yourself.” She nods right away.

“Don’t worry I won’t tell.” She doesn’t get shocked or anything. I guess you get use to these kinds of things when you’ve worked where we have, and all the things we’ve been through. “Anyway, we better get back to work.”

“Right.”

We’re all back together now, gathered around a fire cooking food. Everyone seems oddly quiet, but Axel just looks down. I know its still morning, but we have to leave soon. We’re not that far from where we will face the President. I allowed us to stop, just so they could all rest and regain their strength. I feel sorry for all of them, they’re trying so hard, and it took them this long to get here. I just wish that they can succeed like Skylar said we would.

“The sooner we can leave the better. The place where he is is just past that tree line.” Everyone looks at me. Surprisingly none of them are surprised that we have been so close to him this whole time. “Be prepared though, he might be expecting us. If he wasn’t his location would have changed by now.”

“You got a point there.” Axel replies. He stands and looks at each and every one of us in the eyes. “Even though he is expecting us, and some of us, maybe all of us, may lose our lives, we have to do this no matter what. We have to defeat him so he stops creating Haldrins and using them for war. We were normal people at one point in time, and he took that from us. Our families, our friends, everything. Now we have to take away his everything.”

“That’s right, we need to take his life. Even if it does mean giving ours as well.” I say standing up to join Axel. “He may be my father, but I feel like I’m responsible for some of this. I could’ve tried and stopped him soon, but yet I didn’t. I’m determined now to help you defeat him though.”

“Well that’s enough talking, let’s just go and take care of this already.” Dan says staring to throw dirt in the fire. He looks up at me and smile, “We ain’t got anything to lose.”