Chap. 40: Alice

We all rush up the stairs making our way to the next room. In the first room we all got a bit confused, but it’s thanks to Jasmine that we’re able to get to the next one. And that guy called us mindless. As we start reaching the top, I can see a doorway ahead, but it’s completely dark beyond it. I sense something in the room, though.

I pass through the opening to the room, and stop in a complete black space. Everyone comes in behind me, but I can’t tell who’s who by just looking at them. Someone makes their way right next to me.

“Do you sense it too?” He says. I look up and all I can see if glowing brown eyes. I guess mine are glowing too. It’s something of a side effect with the mind powers, but it allows us to see even in the darkest places.

“Yeah, but I can’t tell where it is.” I say in response. Someone runs into me. I turn around and look at them. They jump back from me with the most frightened look.

“OK why are your eyes glowing and what do you sense exactly?” Kiera asks as she begins to recognize my eyes. I simply smile although she can’t see it.

“Our eyes glow in the dark allowing us to see everything in this room. What we sense is another presence, no one we know though.” I scope the room from where I’m standing, yet I still don’t see anyone. In fact, there isn’t anything in this room at all, it’s completely bare. The only thing that I can make out is a door across the room.

“Well is that the thing you sense?” I follow her gaze, and find another pair of glowing eyes. They’re not brown though like Dan’s; they’re more of golden color with a tint of red. I let out a slight gasp because it catches me off guard.

“How could I have not seen that?” I say to myself. I can see the person’s lips curve into a smile. 

“It’s good to see I have some formidable opponents.” Something comes flying across the room, yet I don’t move. I know if I do, it will hit the ones behind me, and I can’t let that happen. It wouldn’t be fair since they can’t see it. As it gets closer I realize it’s a dagger, heading straight for me, but I still don’t move. It plunges itself into my thigh, but all I do is stagger backwards. I run into Kiera who still stands right behind me. 

“What happened?” She asked grabbing my arm. “Alice I’m scared, please tell me you’re all right.” I could tell she was scared, her voice was trembling.

“I’ve never been better, there’s no need to worry.” I can tell this relieves her a bit. “I need you take the others to the door across the room. Stay against the wall and you will find it.” I led her over to the wall placing both of her hands on it. “Dan and I got this covered.” Speaking of Dan, I turn around to see where he is. I can’t find him anywhere. Only the golden eyes across the room. Until I notice something behind them. The deepest glowing brown eyes. He raises his finger to his lips to signal me not to notice him. I turn back around not saying a word about him. I can’t help to wonder how he got there.

“Man I hate the dark.” Leo says as I help him find the wall. I help the others as well, and once Kadaj has his hands on the wall I turn around and face the opponent.

“Let them be, and you can face me once they have moved on.” I can hear him give a chuckle.

“Fine, if that’s what you wish. I don’t like handicap battles anyway.” I turn away from him again and look at my friends lined up along the wall.

“OK guys, just keep your hands on the wall and you’ll find the door soon enough.” Kiera starts to move slowly, everyone following behind her. When it comes for Skylar to start moving she pauses for a moment. At first, I don’t notice it’s her because she’s still disguise as Lync. She looks back in my direction, probably not knowing if she’s looking at me or not.