Chap. 24: Axel

We’ve been in the air for a few hours now. It’s kind of weird for me to be in the air, but Kadaj seems pretty use to it.

“So have you flown on one of these things before?” I ask trying to make sure he hears me over the winds. I’m not even sure he can answer considering his wound has gotten worse.

“No, last time I saw them, they didn’t have wings. Don’t call them things either, they have names.”

“OK, sorry I didn’t know.” I look out to the clouds. I feel like reaching out and touching one, but I have a feeling with my luck I’ll fall off. “You prepared to fight again?” I look at Kadaj. Of course he doesn’t know that I am, being that I’m behind him.

“What do you mean, we need to wait till you’re healed, and by the look of it, that won’t be until a month maybe.” He laughs. Is this guy crazy or something? I mean first he lets a girl shoot him without even trying to dodge it, then he laughs about it?

“I guess you didn’t know, but Haldrins that worked for the government are genetically enhanced to heal ten times as fast as regular humans and other Haldrins. So I should be good by tomorrow morning. We just need to find a good spot to camp.” Well now I’ve learned something new about my own species. I never even knew that much about it anyway, but since he worked for the government, I guess Kadaj knows a lot, and gets certain advantages.

“So how ‘bout we camp down there?” I point to a place where there’s a tree bent over making a good cover for overnight. 

“Looks good, how about we and there for the night boy.” He pats Hikaru’s neck and we start to lower towards the ground. We’re moving so fast, I have to hang on tighter than I already was. When we finally land I slide off Hikaru, and fall to the grass like I’ve never saw land before. 

“Aw, I missed you.” I say as I pull up a clump of grass in my hand. I can assume Kadaj is looking at me like I’m crazy, but I don’t care.  I would rather look crazy then be up in the sky again. I could barely breathe up there.

“Well I guess we should be fine with just sleeping on the ground. No pillows or blankets.” Kadaj says as he plops onto the ground as well.

“Fine with me.” I say as I roll over onto my back and let the sun warm my face. “You better have Hikaru sleep in a higher place just in case.”

“Got a point there. Hikaru.” The creature growls as it gets to its feet and flies up high into the tree. I watch him as he lands on a thick branch. He lays down dangling one of his front paws off, and then he’s asleep. I sit up and look over at Kadaj, and it seems he’s passed out as well. I lie back down and look up at the sky. I wonder if Skylar is OK, I sure hope she is. My eyes shut, and I slip into a slumber as well.

I open my eyes, and I suddenly have to squint. The sun has gotten brighter, so I guess it’s around noon or so. I roll over to my side. When I do I find two pairs of feet. At first I don’t really realize what’s in front of me, but as soon as I do, I shoot up.

“I, uh, I...” I shuffle backwards on my hands and feet until run into Kadaj and fall on top of him.

“What the hell man.” He pushes me off of him and sits up rubbing his eyes. He looks over at the people who are now clearer to see. “Oh...”

They both wear a school uniform, which is a white shirt and black dress pants with a red tie, and black loafers.  One of them has hair that is extremely short and it the color of a Cornflower, his eyes a deep green. He looks quite odd if you ask me, with the blue hair and all. The other guy is a blond, his hair fairly short as well. His eyes are a mesmerizing orange color.