CHAPTER S E V E N

and I'll be on the way in the middle of night
'cause I can never wait for the morning to rise

WITH Y O U

The night went on with everyone enjoying themselves and soon I felt too tired to be social any longer. I went to sleep quite early and I wasn't sure where Imani had run off to but she was a big girl, I didn't worry.

I woke up the next morning and when I looked over to her bed she wasn't there. In fact it looked like she hadn't even slept in it. Still perfectly made and clean. I got out and freshened myself a bit but started to grow a little concerned when Imani still hadn't come back. I looked at my phone and was about to leave the room when the door opened, in walked Imani with tangled hair looking nervous. "Where were you all night?" I questioned, walking over to her. "I don't wanna talk about it." She mumbled, climbing into her bed. "What? Where did you sleep last night? I was worried." I admitted to her, sitting on the edge of her bed. She peeked her head out from under the covers and sighed. "If I tell you, please don't say anything about it okay?" She asked, sitting up slightly.

"I slept with Vik last night." She breathed out. My jaw dropped and she quickly covered my mouth with her hand. "Don't say it. Don't even think about saying it okay? I know. I know." She whispered to me. I pushed her hand away and stood up, eyeing her carefully before giving her a knowing look leaving the room.

If she didn't want to talk about it I wouldn't push it but eventually I needed to know the details. I was her sister! I had to know everything.

Maybe not everything but Vik? I always thought they were just friends, maybe they were and last night was just a mistake? I couldn't think about it for too long, after all it wasn't really my business to begin with. I made my way downstairs where I saw Vik and Tobi in the kitchen. A couple of the girlfriends were there helping with breakfast and I walked in with a smile on my face. "Hey, morning everyone." I announced myself, sitting at the table. "Hey Lily! Food is almost ready." Tobi said to me sweetly.

Breakfast was served, Imani hadn't come down yet and I assumed it was her just needing to recover from last night. It was raining though which meant staying inside until it was time to go back home. JJ wanted to watch a movie, a staple for rainy weather. The boys argued about what to watch, I sat down on the loveseat where Simon casually sat down next to me. "I don't want to watch that!" Ethan yelled, taking the remote from Josh. "Well there's no reason to be mean about it mate." He replied back, nudging Ethan. We settled on a horror film despite my protests.

I hated horror movies, I've only watched a handful of them, they just made me anxious much like everything else that did. I leaned back into my seat when I felt someone's arms around me. "If you get scared I'll protect you, you big baby." Simon teased, pulling me closer to him. "I'm not a baby. I just don't like this genre of films, most people don't by the way." I replied sassily. "Yeah, babies." He said with his eyes on the screen. "You get scared when you hear random noises." I whispered. "Yeah random noises with no explanations is different from a scary movie."

The movie started, in the first fifteen minutes I noticed Imani come into the room, sitting down next to Lux who looked at her confused as there was an empty spot next to Vik. I looked at him and saw his face fall slightly. Leave it my sister to make things really awkward between the two. I couldn't blame her though, if last night had been an accident she probably wasn't sure how to keep that friendship.

I turned my attention to the movie but I couldn't concentrate, not when I had someone's fingers brushing against my shoulder. He didn't move his arm, not even when I shifted in my seat a bit just to see if he would. He also kept me close, we had the entire seat to ourselves and yet we were closer to each other than we had been before. I could feel his breath on me and I was trying really hard to keep my attention on the movie but frankly I had no clue what was going on.

» » »

Making it back home by the evening, I finally had a chance alone to talk to Imani about what happened. It was times like these that I really regretted feeling like a grandma and going to bed at nine thirty at night. I walked into her bedroom and sat down at the edge of her bed, she was sitting underneath the covers, on her phone pretending not to see me. "Talk to me." I said, looking directly at her. "I saw you during the movie, you didn't even talk to Vik after either." I pointed out.

I could see her rolling her eyes, she sat her phone down on her lap and sighed. "Just because you're bugging me about it." She mumbled. "I just feel weird is all." She spoke softly. "I saw him as a friend, just someone to spend time with, I don't exactly have a lot of friends here. But that night I was really drunk and I don't know what happened but we ended up kissing and then it turned into more and the next morning I felt so awkward seeing him there." She poured out to me. I pursed my lips and thought it over, giving her a chance to add anything if she needed. "Do you feel awkward because you both were just friends or do you feel awkward because you didn't think it could be more than that?" I questioned.

Imani grew silent. I watched as she contemplated what I had just said and I smiled softly at her. "I know feelings can get confusing and stuff but maybe you just need some time to think about it? Really decide what it is you're feeling." I advised. She nodded her head and I took that as a sign she no longer wished to speak about anything.

» » »

It was almost two in the morning and yet my phone was going off. I had left it on vibrate but it filled the room loudly. I groaned to myself, taking a deep breath before I looked at the caller ID, seeing Simon's name flash across the screen. I furrowed my brows from confusion.

Why the hell was he calling me while I was sleeping?

I grew slightly annoyed, answering with a very sleepy, "Hello?"

"Lily?" I heard his voice say. He was clearly drunk. What he was doing or who he was with I had no clue but I really didn't have a lot of energy to deal with him and his drunken self. I heard voices in the background and I laid back down on my pillow. "Simon what's up? Why are you calling me?" I asked tiredly.

"Can we talk? Please?" He pleaded through the phone. I was growing more concerned as I listened to him speak, not only was he drunk but he seemed kind of sad. "I'm listening." I replied slowly.

"I think I-" The line went dead and I couldn't tell if he hung up on me or the call failed. I reacted a bit slowly and by the time I thought to even call back I got another phone call.

"Simon?" I questioned worriedly.

"Hey it's Tobi, sorry about that, I think he just called you by accident." I breathed a sigh of relief and cleared my throat. "Everything okay?" I asked. "Yeah everything is good! Boys got a bit too drunk tonight. Sorry for waking you up!"

He hung up and I was left to lay there and wonder what exactly Simon was going to say.

• • •

this chapter was rewritten as of july 22nd, 2021

song of the chapter: middle of the night my monsta x