Twenty Eight

You said you'd grow old with me
We had plans
We had visions
Now I can't see ahead
We were one
We were golden
Forever you said

"Are you Imani's sister?" The doctor asked and I glanced from Simon to the doctor. "Yes. Is everything okay?" I crossed my arms as I took deep breaths to keep me calm. "She is alright, she's resting. However I do have some unfortunate news." I motioned for me to sit down so I did, I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear and stared at him in anticipation. "I'm afraid there was a complication with the pregnancy," I furrowed my brows together and shook my head. "the baby didn't make it. It was either keep the baby inside or risk losing Imani." I stared at the doctor in disbelief. "Okay." Was all I could let out, I heard Simon talk to the doctor while I stood up and started to walk away from the chairs. "Lil?" Simon called after me, he grabbed onto my wrist gently and I turned to look at him. "She's going to be devastated." I let out.

He pulled me into a tight hug before sighing. "She's a strong girl. She can get through it, and we'll be there to help her. Come on, let's go and check on her. Vik is already in the room." I nodded and followed him into Mani's room. "Hey." I let out when she saw me. She looked exhausted. "Hey." She croaked out, smiling softly. "How are you feeling?" Vik moved out of the chair by her bed for me to sit down. "I'm okay." She breathed out, I bit my lower lip as I watched her hand move to her stomach.

"He told you?" She asked me, and I nodded slowly. Her eyes filled up with tears and I wanted to so badly believe this was just a dream. But this wasn't a dream, it was reality, and sometimes reality was cruel. "I'm sorry." She grabbed onto my hand and held tightly. "This isn't your fault Mani." She started to cry and my heart broke. I held her hand and let her sob. "This isn't your fault." I repeated to her, she nodded her head and I stroked her hair. "Why don't you get some sleep, I'm going to get you some food okay?" I fixed the blanket for her before I rushed out of the room.

"Did you see her? She's heartbroken Simon, what am I supposed to do!" I was frustrated and stressed, I was the older sister, I needed to protect her. "You be there for her, you support her, you show her you love her. That's all you can do." He tried to reach for me but I moved away.

I was selfish.

I left her alone and this is what happened.

I wanted to find love and this is what happened.

London was being cruel.

I wiped the tears away and tried to slow down my breathing.

If I had lost her, I wouldn't have known what to do with myself. It would have been my fault, losing the baby was my fault. I watched as Simon backed away from me, he just stood there with a sad expression on his face.

» » »

Simon's POV

She's pushing me away and there's nothing I can do to stop it. I'm trying my best to be supportive and make sure both the girls are okay but between the both of them thinking this was their fault, I'm at a lost of what to do.

It's been weeks since the accident and she won't even let me touch her. Talking to her is like talking to a brick wall, she just runs around the house filming videos and making sure Mani is okay. It's actually taking a toll on Mani as well, she can't go anywhere or do anything unless Lily knows about it and approves. I tried to talk to Lily about it but she just ended up yelling at me.

"Simon, please. Just for a little while. I need to get out of here." Mani pleaded with me, I sat on the couch and sighed. "What am I supposed to tell her?" I whispered, Mani looked over her shoulder before looking at me. "Just tell her I'm sleeping in my room. She'll leave me alone for awhile." I sighed and looked over at Mani, she had the puppy dog eyes and I caved. "Fine, but you better not be out long." Mani hugged me tightly and I laughed softly, she tiptoed out of the apartment just in time for Lily to walk out of her bedroom.

"Where's Mani?" She asked me and I cleared my throat. "She's sleeping in her room, said she was tired." She eyed me for a minute before nodding and walking into the kitchen. I stood up and walked over to her, my arms slipping around her waist and I could feel her tense up. "What are you doing?" She asked me, her expression was serious and she wiggled out of my grasp. "Are you okay?" I asked her and she stopped what she was doing and turned to me. "Yeah, I'm fine." She said flatly, keeping her distance. "Why won't you let me touch you?" I blurted, I hadn't meant to say anything for awhile but my heart was breaking.

"I'm just not in the mood okay?" She snapped and I thought about backing off but this was Lily I was talking to, I needed to get down to the bottom of this. "You haven't been in the mood for anything since the accident. Lily, I love you and I want to be by your side, don't push me away. Please. I can't go through all of that again." These last few months have been bliss with Lily in my life, there's no way in hell I'm loosing her again. "I'm sorry." She let out, looking down at the ground. "I don't know what you want from me." She was trying to cover up the fact she was crying but I knew better.

"Come here." I grabbed onto her and pulled her into me, this time I wasn't going to let go of her, not until she was back to her old self again. "I'm sorry, I just, I can't." She let out, tears streaming down her pretty face. "Can't what?" I asked and she shook her head and pulled away from me. "This, everything. I'm stressed all the time and so many things have happened and I never thought I would go back to how I used to be, I hate how I used to be. I can't do that you or to Mani or even to myself."

I was searching her eyes for something to let me know about her being happy, but I didn't see any of that. I didn't see happiness.

"I love you, Simon. But I'm a broken mess, I need to fix myself."

I stared at her for a moment.

"I'm moving back to Los Angeles."

• • •

Well that was a very intense chapter

Song of the chapter: You Said You'd Grow Old With Me by Michael Schulte