Chapter 4

It was early the next morning, when a banging at the door woke Niall from a deep sleep.

"Fuck." He mumbled, stumbling out of bed. He pulled on pants, and a tee-shirt as the banging got louder.

"I'm coming!" He shouted, and made his way to the door. Who would be here this early? It was only 6'o'clock. He pulled the door open.

"Mum?" He asked confused, and squinted at her. "What the hell are you doing here so early? Are you insane?"

She glared at him, "well, seeing as you won't answer my calls, or bother to call back, I had no choice but to come here."

"But at 6 in the morning? Really?"

Maura sighed, "I just wanted to see my baby boy before I leave back to Ireland for a few weeks. You're grandma is sick, and she needs me."

Niall frowned, and gestured for his mum to come in. "Sick with what?" He asked as he began working on coffee.

Maura shrugged. "Don't know. It might be her liver. I have to take her to the doctors."

Niall nodded, and handed her a mug. "If it is serious, I am calling you and you will fly down to be with us. You're grandma loves you, and she would be really upset if you didn't visit her. Understand?"

He nodded again, and sipped his coffee. Maura didn't stay long, 15 minutes. She gave Niall a kiss on the cheek, and made her way out.

"Call me when you land!" He yelled before the door closed. It reopened, and Maura stuck her head inside.

"Are you going to answer this time?" She asked, sarcastically.

Niall chuckled nervously, "Yes, I promise. I love you, now shoo."

Maura gave him a smile, "I love you, too."

--

Niall pulled into work sometime later. It was actually a little past 5, hours before Niall was required to come in. He was hoping to see Harry, or actually, stare at him from afar and hoped he didn't notice. He shut off his car, and with a nervous sigh, climbed out and slowly made his way inside. He seen Louis, who practically lived in this bar. Louis was smiling, and talking to Harry.

Niall couldn't help feel sadden by this. He knew Louis was allowed to have other friends, but ever since Harry came back, he barely heard a word from his best friend. Was it going to be like this? Was Niall really going to lose his best mate?

Niall made himself invisible by hiding in the back room until he was supposed to go out. His original plan have flown out the window, and he didn't want to waist gas by leaving and coming back a few hours later. His thoughts kept him company, though. Was he destined to lose his friends again? To be alone until he died? He felt that way, and it caused a tear to fall from his eye. He didn't bother to wipe it away, seeing no point as more tears fell. They just kept coming, and didn't stop as Niall hunched over with his head on his knees.

He felt like he shouldn't even be -

"Oh, Niall. What are you doing back here?" A surprised Louis asked. Niall didn't move, and he silently cursed himself for crying.

"Uh, nothing. Just waiting until my shift starts." His voice was muffled by his leg.

"Your shift started 5 minutes ago."

"Fuck, okay." Niall cursed, and quickly pushed passed Louis without lifting his head.

Louis watched his best mate walk away, and tried to call him back, but his voice couldn't be heard over the people chatting away.

--

Niall poured a shot of vodka for the guy who looked barely 18. But according to his ID, he was 20. He suspected it was fake, but he didn't care. Who was he to judge?

"Here you go." Niall said, passing over the shot glass. The boy smiled, and raised it up as a thank you, before raising it to his lips.

"Did you card him? He doesn't even look old enough to drive." A bewildered Harry asked when the boy left. Niall remained quiet, and instead cleaned the counter. "Are you just going to ignore me? Niall, you can get in trouble for giving a minor alcohol. You understand that, right?"

Niall shrugged, and almost smiled when Harry made a sound of frustration. He went to walk away, when a hand grabbed his arm and stopped him.

"I understand you don't want to talk to me, but we need to get along if we are going to be working together." Harry lied. He desperately wanted to speak to Niall, and if using work as an excuse would work, then he would try it.

Niall shrugged off Harry's arm, no matter how much he wanted to keep it there, and stepped away from him. He stared at Harry for a moment, before nodding slowly.

"Fine, but only for work." He said, before walking away.

Harry almost fist pumped, it worked.

--

His mum finally called, and he answered like promised.

"Sorry I am calling late. My phone died, and I forgot to charge it."

"It's okay." He spoke, leaning against the wall.

"Well, I made it here safe. Grandma is a little pale, and I will be taking her to the doctors in the next couple days. Hopefully she is okay."

"Yeah, me too." he mumbled.

"I better get going. Goodnight, I love you."

"Love you, too." he said, before hanging up.

He placed his phone in his front pocket, and made his way out into the cold night. He jogged to his car, but slowed down when he seen Harry standing at the bus station. He instantly felt bad, it was freezing. Harry looked stressed, and worried. He kept tapping his foot, and checking his phone.

His mouth moved faster then his brain, "Hey, Harry! Do you need a lift?"

Harry turned at the sound of his name, and let out a breath of relief. He jogged to Niall's car without a word, and easily slid in as did Niall.

"Thank you." He breathed, only receiving a nod.

With a few directions, Niall pulled up outside of a building that looked like it could use some repairing.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" Harry asked, before he opened the door. Niall nodded, and waved slightly as Harry slammed the door shut, and made his way inside the building.

Luckily, Niall lived about 2 blocks away. Looks like they both couldn't afford to live somewhere nice, he thought bitterly.

--

The night flew by surprising fast. Niall had a few beers, as he watched an old football game he had recorded. But no matter how hard he tried to watch the game, his mind drifted back to Harry.

He wanted to know if Harry was depressed when he left. He wanted to know if he was like him; an alcoholic. He wanted to know all these things, but he was so scared of getting hurt, and rejection again.

He wanted to know, and he was going to find out.