Chapter 18

"I want my daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" Harry heard from down the hall. He resisted the urge to run to her, and instead tore his gaze from the door to the lady standing in front of him. His eyes watered, and he let out a shaky breath and dropped his gaze to his hands.

"I am Mrs. McCarty." The lady, - Mrs. McCarty - started. "This morning we received an anonymous phone call with your name and address. The phone call stated that Isabella Anne Styles, your daughter, was covered in dirt, bruises, and had gone days without eating. We are talking with Isabella right now, and I obviously didn't see any bruises or dirty covering her, but we take things like this seriously. We will do a full investigation of your home, and make sure Isabella has everything she needs. Food, a bed, heat, and the proper needs. Do you understand, Mr. Styles?" She paused, waiting for him to nod. When he did, she continued to speak.

He resisted the urge to sigh, and instead curled his hands into fists.

"Do you have anything to say?" She finally asked after she was done speaking.

"This is utter bullshit." He started. Mrs. McCarty's eyes widen.

"Excuse me?"

"It's all a lie. Bella never goes a day without eating, or bathing. She has all her proper needs."

"Well, like I said. We take things seriously around here when it involves a child."

"It was probably her mother who called. She's such a bitch." He mumbled to himself.

"Speaking of her mother, where is she?"

"She walked out when Bella was seven months old. Recently, she came back into the picture and is trying to get custody of her." Harry rolled his eyes. "She will do anything to get Bella. Including calling children services."

Mrs. McCarty nodded, and started writing in her notepad. "If I may ask, why won't you let her mother see her?" She paused her writing to glance at Harry.

"She doesn't deserve to see Bella. She walked out on parenting. Its her fault. We met up the other day, so she could see Bella, and she smacked her. For no reason." Harry shook his head, disgust written on his face.

"Smacked her?" She asked, briefly looking at Harry before she continued to write.

"Yes." He mumbled. He opened his mouth to say more, when he was cut off with the door opening. A tiny figure ran inside the room, tears spilling down her face, and into her fathers arms. Harry shushed her, rocking her back and forth gently.

"Daddy. Want to go home." She whispered, her lips quivering.

"We'll be going home soon. Daddy just needs to finish talking." He placed a kiss on her forehead.

"Actually, Mr. Styles, that should be enough for now. We'll keep in touch, and set up a date to send someone out. Have a good day."

Harry nodded, and quickly stood up. He walked out of the room with Bella in his arms, and never looked back.

--

It took a week for someone to come out. All week Harry had stocked their fridge with food, even though it was never empty in the first place. He made sure the house was always clean, even if he was exhausted from working. He barely slept, because stress of children services and he was worried Mackenzie had set up a court date like she threatened. Everything went smoothly with children services. They talked to Bella again, and asked more questions. They said they would be out a few more times, but it wouldn't be long until they left for good.

Harry hadn't heard from Mackenzie, but he also hasn't tried to call her. He finally caved in, and grabbed his cell phone off the table. He dialed her number, and brought it up to his ear. He listened to it ring, until she finally answered.

"Hello? Harry?" She asked, her voice filled with hesitant.

"Mackenzie." He said through gritted teeth. "Did you call children services?"

She didn't answer, which meant she was guilty.

"Why would you do that?!" He yelled into the phone, startling awake a sleeping Bella.

"Harry, - I'm sorry! I needed you to see I was serious about seeing her!" She cried.

"Thats bullshit! You were taking me to court! How is that not serious?"

"Because I can't take you to court! They won't give me full custody of her; they'll only give me visitation days, and they'll make me pay child support! Harry, I can't afford to pay child support!"

Harry sighed, and rubbed his forehead. "Mackenzie, once this whole child services stuff blows over, then we'll talk about visitation days, but for now, you do not get to see or talk to her. Understood?"

"Yes, yes! Thank you so much, Harry!"

He hung up without a single goodbye, and brought Bella into his side.

"Daddy, who that?"

"It was your mum."

"No mum." Bella shook her head. "Want Niall."

Harry choked on his spit, and started coughing. "What?" He breathed out when he caught his breath.

"Daddy parent, Niall parent. No mum. Niall other dada."

Harry stared at his daughter, eyes wide. He didn't know what to say; he didn't want to crush her little heart. But most importantly, how would Niall feel about this?!

--

Updated early. We didn't reach the goal but thats okay. Let's try again.

Goal: 800 votes.