Chapter 24

"So, what? You're dating now or something?" Liam asks, excitement bubbling up inside of him.

Niall slowly shakes his head, almost hesitant. "No, not quiet. We haven't made it official but we do...couple things. Hold hands, kiss, hug, cuddle, and he and Bella are over all the time. Its like we are, without the label.." Niall frowns, shaking his head again.

"Maybe you should ask him out? Man up." Liam chuckles, stuffing his face with fries.

Niall scoffs, and then an amused smirk pulls at his lips. "Speaking of manning up, when are you going to propose to Zayn?"

Liam blushes, his face turning a bright pink. "Wha-what?!"

"Come on, Liam!" Niall sighs, frustrated. "You guys have been together for so long! Just man up. I'm sure Zayn is waiting for that big question."

"Niall, shut up. We're too young to be engaged."

"Are you shitting me right now? You have got to be kidding. You and Zayn have been together since high school! It's going on five, maybe six years? Seven even. I mean, its obvious you guys are going to spend your life together." He shrugs, taking a big bite out of his pizza. Liam doesn't answer him, causing Niall to snap his gaze to him.

"I've.. I've thought about it, I have, really.. But, Zayn and I have been fighting the past few weeks.." Liam nervously scratches his hand, his gaze settled on the wall.

"Why?" Niall asks confusingly.

"I..I'm not sure. He's just been acting weird..He's..not himself." Liam lowers his voice, eyes dropping to the table in front of him, his food forgotten about. "I really love him, you know? I can't picture my life without him..I..I can't lose him, Ni." Liam sobs, hot tears rolling off his cheeks and onto the table below him. Niall doens't waste his time standing up and pulling his best mate into a hug. After a few moments, when Liam is calm, Niall pulls away and points a finger at him.

"You are going to take your ass to your shared flat with him right now, and you are going to demand to know whats going on. Do you understand me?"

"Yes, sir." Liam mocks, a teasing grin on his face.

"Good. Now, I have my own manning up to do."

--

Niall walks into his flat, the TV is on, the fairy odd parents are playing, but no one is watching it. He frowns, and walks deeper into his apartment, checking the kitchen, but coming up empty. He decides to head to his room, thinking Harry left and just didn't turn off the TV. But instead he comes to find Bella and Harry laying in bed. Harry is asleep, his loud snores falling off his lips as Bella plays with his curls. She looks up when he enters, and instantly she is up and bouncing to Niall.

"Dada! Dada! Shh, daddy asleep." She whispers, holding her small finger to her mouth. Niall grins, picking her up and placing her on his hip. He turns around to head downstairs, deciding to let Harry sleep. He forgot Harry had the night shift last night, and he instantly felt bad for going out with Liam after work.

"Are you hungry? Dada already ate after work, but I can make you and daddy something." He suggests, placing Bella on the counter as he rummages through the cabinets.

"Daddy feed me." She pats her stomach."But still hungry."

Niall smiles at her, chuckling. "How about ice cream? But we can't tell daddy." He whispers, standing in front of her. Bella giggles, peering over his shoulder as she covers her mouth. Bella quickly nods, staring at him.

"Ice cream! Ice cream!" She sings, raising her voice. Niall quickly shushes her, reminding her daddy is asleep, and its a secret.

"Sorry, Dada." She whispers, quickly covering her mouth again. Niall just shakes his head, a smile permanently on his face. He grabs two bowls, and takes out the ice cream. He grabs a spoon, and runs it under warm water for a minute before scoping out ice cream and filling the bowls.

"Okay, lets go watch it in the living room. We can watch cartoons while we eat." He suggests, helping Bella off the counter, and then grabbing the bowls as he follows Bella into the living room. They sit next to each other on the couch, Bella has her bowl between her legs, and Niall's bowl is pressed against his chest, close to his mouth. They eat in silence, a giggle coming from Bella every few seconds when something happens on the TV that she thinks is funny.

"Is your ice cream good?" Niall asks when he finishes, seeing Bella still eating hers.

"Yes, Dada."

"Go-" Niall stops mid sentence when his phone begins to ring. He checks the caller ID, and sees its his mum. He's about to hit ignore when he remembers he promised to answer her calls next time. He presses the green button, and brings it up to his ear as he makes his way into the kitchen.

"Hello?" He questions, even though he already knows who it is.

"Niall! Thank god I got a hold of you." His mother sounds stress, and that makes Niall worried.

"Whats going on? Whats wrong?" He questions quickly.

"Niall, you need to catch the next flight to Ireland! Now." His mother urges, she sounds close to tears and Niall can feel his stomach churn.

"Whats wrong with grandma?" He asks, remembering the reason his mother even left to Ireland in the first place.

"Niall, shes sick...Oh, shes so sick." His mother finally releases a sob, her heart breaking. Niall hears laughter from the living room, and then a deep voice that only belongs to Harry.

"Hey, Niall, Bella told me -." Harry stops talking when he sees the look on Niall's face. He slows his walking, but doesn't stop until he has Niall in his arms. Niall leans back against him, taking in the comfort of Harry's embrace.

"The doctors finally called after weeks of waiting, and it was the worst news we have received. Niall, grandma has cancer. You need to fly down here!"

The words fade away as soon as she says cancer. Niall is holding in tears, and he barely hears his mother talking. Hes mumbling, barely listening. He can register her saying bye, and I love you. He mumbles it back, before his phone is suddenly released from his grasp and a loud bang noise followed after it. Niall feels like hes going to pass out, his vision is blurring, and he struggles to breathe.

"Shit, Niall, baby i need you to breathe. Breathe for me." Harry instructs, quickly making his way to face Niall, holding his face.

"Breathe in...and out." He whispers soothingly. When Niall is finally calm, he hesitantly asks what happened.

"I...I..." Niall stutters, his throat suddenly dry. "What do you say taking a trip to Ireland with me?" He manages to get out weakly.

Harry only nods, confusion written across his face.

--

Aweee, poor grandma :(

Aweee, poor Liam and Zayn :(

Yaaay, Narry! :)