S e v e n t y - T w o : S c o t t

A/N: Comment & Vote
*A special thanks to Property_of_Gaara  and CheyE670 for their hysterical comments/conversations. I love it. So thank you. Keep on keeping on.

I took some time to relax when they took him in.

Hank was calling animal control and would text me when it was taken care of. Until then Lisa would bring Kingsley home with her. It dawned on me that Bailey was here and went to the nurse's station.

"Is there a Bailey Beal here?"

Kyle never married him--he still had his old last name. The woman didn't even have to look it up. She gave me a frown. "Yeah. Poor thing. Are you family?"

"A close friend."

"Well normally we'd wait but seeing as his Dom isn't coming back for him... I guess you could. Do you want to wait for your sub so you can go in together?"

"I'd like to see him alone first if that's okay."

"Sure."

She led me to a small room. What I was heart wrenching. And far more than Puppy could ever handle. Bailey was colorless, drowning in bedding, tubes stuffed down his throat and nose... A plethora of machines surrounded him ominously.

"Jesus Christ."

"His chances of waking up deplete every day he's like this. It's been almost a month now. Once he officially becomes a ward of the government they'll take him off the machines like that." She snapped her fingers. "Anything to spare an expense right? You wouldn't happen to know any numbers to get in contact with his Dom or his family?"

"Kyle is long gone." I muttered. "I can look in their house for some numbers but my understanding is the they're not a part of his life at all."

"It's incredible to think abuse could transcend to these levels without any warnings. Normally they injuries gradually get worse... Did you notice any signs?"

"Yeah. Yeah I did. Nothing like this but... I should have said something."

"No one is blaming you." Something started to beep and I looked anxiously at Bailey.

"Just my pager sir. Actually your sub needs you--he's locked himself in the bathroom to avoid getting his rabies shots."

"Yeah. Take me to him."

***

"Puppy you're being ridiculous."

"They stabbed me in the arm! And you weren't here."

"Goddamnit Puppy--these people have jobs to do."

"Stop yelling at me!"

I groaned and Brune leaned against the wall. "I can call the custodian to open the door?"

"He's just being difficult." I slapped my palm against the door pointedly.

"In his defense these shots hurt like hell."

"That's what he gets for picking up wild animals."

"You know I was worried about you two. I thought you were exploiting him."

I glanced at him. "Thanks for the vote of confidence."

"Well I was told you strangled your last sub."

I shook my head. "Rumors. He--"

"Had cancer. Don't worry. I checked in. And what you're doing with Puppy is good. I'm glad that you've stuck it out."

"Thanks. Puppy if you come out here I'll stay right here."

"You weren't here before! And I can hear you talking about me."

"Good. I hope you can hear us talking about how ridiculous you're being!"

"Leave me alone."

"I really thought he was a kid." Brune commented. "Especially in that room."

"Yeah. He's...something else. Puppy please."

"It hurts," he sobbed.

"Hey Puppy?" Brune tried. "We're gonna get out of there no matter what. I can get you a jello cup if you want?"

Puppy's crying ceased. "Scott? You'll let me have another?"

"If you come out," I agreed. "I'm right here--I should have gone in with you. I'm sorry."

The lock clicked and Puppy peeked out. "The shot really hurt Scott--and there are more."

I looked at Brune who nodded. "Not today of course--like I told him."

"Jesus Christ. Puppy you're done. There's no more shots until later."

Puppy sniffled. "Really?"

"Yup. I just need to put a bandage on it and take some blood."

"You said you were done!"

"With shots yes. It's just a bit of blood." Brune explained.

Puppy's eyes flashed. "No. It's my blood and I don't want you to have any."

"Puppy calm down."

"He's trying to take my blood away Scott! What if he takes it all away? I'll die like Bailey and Cheddar!"

The waterworks started up again and I smiled apologetically. "There have been some recent losses in his life--he doesn't mean to be so difficult."

"I'm empathic of that, I really am, but I'm on call tonight and I could be sleeping right now." Brune held up the needle. "Hold him still and hold out his arm."

I frowned. "Are you sure--"

"Yes. I went to Medical school and they taught you how to take blood from children. I'm more than confident in my ability."

As requested I wrestled his arm straight and Brune made quick work of it, slapping on a band-aid. Puppy stared at me looking deeply offended. "There. Now you two can be on your way. Puppy--don't play with wild animals."

"Don't talk to me!" He countered furiously.

Brune rose an eyebrow. "Puppy!"

"He stole away all my blood and I have none left and now I'm all dry inside!"

"The human body has about one and a half gallons of blood in it. I promise you have plenty left," mused Brune.

"Say thank you Puppy."

He crossed his arms before wincing in an exaggerated fashion and cradling his arm. "No! He tried to kill me."

"Let's go," I sighed. "Thank you Brune."

"I was just doing my job. We should get together some time. I feel like we got off to a bad start?"

"I probably didn't make the best impression." I agreed.

His eyes caught mine. "It's really good to see you again Scott. Truly."

I smiled. We hadn't been that close in college--just friends who shared a few general education requirements. Why he was so happy to see me again escaped me. But I suppose the polite thing would be to act as if the feeling were mutual.

"I'll see you soon," I confirmed. "Four days right?"

"Exactly." He smiled.

I returned it and led Puppy out.

QOTC: Thoughts? What do you think about Scott/Puppy/Kyle/Bailey?