S e v e n t y - N i n e : S c o t t

A/N: Comment & Vote

I couldn't stop looking at my phone.

It was borderline obsessive. Every since that night I was riddled with insatiable regret and guilt. Proposing to Charlie was in my plans from the beginning. But what happened with Brune... it just gave our relationship a huge push forward.

The fact he hadn't tried to contact me weighed heavily on me. He'd made a move on me--on a Dom. And not only that but in my past I'd allowed it.

I'd never done something so...taboo. Something that could destroy me socially... Not to mention the betrayal Charlie would feel when he found out I'd decided to go out with someone I once slept with.

"This one is yours." Charlie pressed the gift into my hands. "It's from me."

I put the phone aside. This was Christmas. I needed to be here with Charlie. With my family.

I pulled the shiny silver wrapped paper off a leather box. The words Rolex were imprinted it. My eyes drifted shut.

Please tell me Charlie didn't buy me a Rolex.

I snapped it open and forced a smile. "Wow! This is...a really nice watch Charlie!"

"Yeah the man said everyone needs a gold watch." He smiled excitedly. "You like it?"

"I'm sure he did say that. And yeah it's great. Do you...have my card still by any chance?"

"Yep. In my coat pocket."

"Remind me to get that back." I pulled the watch out. "Wow. Do you know nice this watch really is?"

"Hm. The man said really."

"Yeah. This is a very expensive watch Charlie."

"Yeah? He called it a Sky-Dweller 18k Yellow Gold Champagne Arabic Dial Diamond 42MM Watch. No returns."

"Oh Jesus Christ." I rubbed my hand over my face.

"Did I do bad?" Charlie asked worriedly.

"No. It's incredible. Will you grab me a beer?"

Charlie grinned as hopped up to do so, stepping around the discarded wrapping paper. "Oh my God Scott," breathed Leah looking up at me. "I just googled that and the refurbished price is $79,999. That's new. And there must have been a store mark up."

"I know. I shouldn't have..." I sighed. "Given him my card. That was stupid on my end."

"Did it clean you out?"

"God no. It's still way more than I was planning on spending. But uh--" Charlie came back in with the bottle. "Thank you."

"Do you want to put it on?"

"This is actually a very special occasion watch."

"So you're not going to wear it?"

"That's not what I mean. I just don't want anything to happen to it." I smiled at him and pulled him into my lap. "Thank you."

Charlie smiled into my neck. "You're welcome."

He squirmed away and grabbed a different present. "This one is for me!"

"Open it."

He did so and pulled out the phone. "My own cellphone?"

"I think it's about time." I replied with a smile.

"Thank you."

***

Charlie gathered all the wrapping paper while I put on the game.

Leah had put Kingsley down for a nap and was enjoying the tablet I bought her. I had gotten Charlie one as well.

I was still waiting for that contact from him. To say...something. I sighed, ultimately defeated, and messaged him.

Can we just pretend that nothing happened?

It was a stupid thing to say put I pressed send anyway. It soothed me a bit and I was able to set the phone aside.

I got up to check on Aidan who was tending the horses this morning. He didn't celebrate Christmas--to him it was just another day. "Nice day." Aidan commented as he put a blanket on a mare. "How are you?"

"Good. Do you need any help out here?"

"Nope. I'm just about done. Unless there's something else you want done?"

"Nope. Head home when you're done and enjoy a day off."

He smiled and I went back inside. Charlie was playing with his phone at the table. "Having fun?"

"Yeah. Thank you. This was the most amazing Christmas ever." He hopped up to throw his arms around my neck. "And I can't wait to start getting ready for the wedding."

"I'm sure you can't. Do you know what time of the year you'd like?"

"Fall. With all the pumpkins and leaves."

"Then fall it is." I kissed his cheek. "Want to go upstairs?"

Charlie looked up at me. "Really?"

"Yup. Kingsley is sleeping."

"Then yes." He hopped up and wrapped his legs around my waist.

I put my hand under his ass to support him as I took him up the stairs. I laid him in the bed and kissed him.

"I'm going to have a last name." Charlie whispered.

I pulled his shirt off. "Charlie King."

"Say it again."

"Charlie." I kissed my way up from his neck to his ear. "King."

"I'll be a real person."

"You've always been a real person. Even when you were Puppy."

"Is this how you imagined this would happen?" He asked suddenly.

"I can't say it was. But I'm glad that it did."

"Even with Bailey and the baby?"

"I wish with all of my heart that our friends could have found happiness. But at least they found safety. Away from Kyle."

"I always thought he was mean."

"I didn't want to see it." I sighed. "And I'm sorry for that."

"Bailey will get better. And then... things will be different again."

"Nothing ever stays the same." I kissed him. "And thank god for that."

***

My eyes opened as my phone lit up beside me.

Charlie was curled against my hip and I didn't want to disturb him. I slowly reached for it and looked at the message.

It was Brune.

I misread the situation. I'm content to pretend nothing happened.

A smile drifted across my face in relief.

Thank you.

I put my phone aside and let myself drift off.

From here on out everything could only get better.

QOTC: Thoughts?!
200 spam-free comments and I'll update tomorrow 😁