Welcome back

Chapter 54

"I need to go."

"My wedding is next month!"

"I'll be back... Pretty sure." I held back my tears, hoping Mia could hold on as I scrabble to leave directions for Lily to handle my apartment when I am away.

I have been a terrible friend. I have never been so ashamed in my life.

While I am living the dream, she is in a hospital bed.

I snuffled as I pick up my passport. I texted Jiyong to tell him I'll be gone for a week or month, I doubt he'll see it soon.

This is important, so important I forgot to call my bank and they blocked me for suspicion of theft.

But I got to Florida, where Mia lived, on the earliest plane.

I held in my tears on the taxi, from the situation and excitement of seeing her again.

What am I going to say to her?

Will she even remember me? No wait, it's just cancer. Just? No that's worse, what's wrong with me why can't I think straight-

"M'am? M'am? Your stop." The driver sighed when cars beeped behind him as I observed the rundown hospital from my window.

"You can get closer." I mumbled as I start to gather my things.

"Yeah but it charges to go in."

...This is why Uber is taking over...

"Sign here, sign here, and here, here." The nurse handed an essay of medical and law jargon that I mindlessly signed while trying to get simple answers out of anyone near.

"When did this all happened? Why didn't you contact me earlier? What is all this precaution? Where can I get some water?" I was major thirsty from my travels and had to wait for some insurance guy to get here. "Why can't I see her?"

No response.

Hospital chairs are the worst. All the anxious people who sat here before me, all the high pitch heartbeats as if the lifelines can go flat any second, and all the smell of dying... Flowers from visitors. Maddening.

I have to stay positive.

I started browsing my phone on more information on Mia's condition, unknowingly falling asleep on my poor neck.

"Miss Celia Roselia?"

"Wha, yeah, that me." I wiped the slumper from my eyes and drool from my lips to see a suited guy tapping my shoulder.

"Thank you for waiting, come with me."

"Who are you?"

"I'm Mia's and many patients' lawyer here, Eric Jones." He grabbed his briefcase as he lead me down a series of corridors. Stopping at a room with a paper note with the name 'Miako Tsuki.'

Who???

I squinted at the fine print for the admit date.

Awhile. A long time. Half a year. Something she can never pay back.

"Her last wish was to find her true family." Eric said as we both stand in front of the door. He was waiting for me to gather my emotions.

I'm her family...

"Here in Florida?" I held in my tears.

"Her cousins." He paused. I glanced at the ground. "They're taking her after this treatment."

"What do you mean?" I looked into his shinny glasses only to see my reflection.

"Mia is leaving next week, for her funeral."

The scenery turned black and I can hear the mind storm gathering. Nothing is adding up. I had a best friend, she came home, she got sick, she went to the hospital... And now she's having her funeral with her long last family? What kind of twisted soap-opera is this?

I burst open the door to Mia's room to find a serene atmosphere. Wind blowing the thin curtains around as light shine through a few flower vases from a sunny day, while soft unnoticeable beeps on the machine.

"Mia?" I tiptoed closer to the bed with tubes all over blocking the face I longed to see but not at the same time.

"There was a surgery but unfortunately did not succeed, she hasn't woken up since... And her family is not continuing the expenses-"

"I will continue with my resources, take it all-"

"I'm sorry miss, this was all set in stone before you arrived."

I brushed the hair from Mia's face to distract me from my storm building beyond my mind. Her sleeping face deserves to see the best of me.

My phone buzzed but all I can think and say was "please leave."

"I'm sorry again miss, your limited visiting time is over."

"What I had like 10min!"

"In the papers, c'mon." He dragged me out as I stared at Mia for the last time. Something in me was burning and my eyes felt dry.

"Did you even check those were her real family?!" I yelled out in this quiet hospital. Nurses in the halls glared at me.

"Of course-"

"Real family would save each other!" I stood my ground and demanded for more information. Eric nodded and escorted me to an office room.

"I'm here to represent Miako, please understand Celia." He begin as he opened his briefcase, "I was called here because of you today. I was instructed to." He slid a sealed letter with my name on it into my hands. "I'm sorry I couldn't do more, it's just unfortunate to have all this happen when she was just about to start a new life."

That really hits home. I was having a parallel life, without the misfortune.

I carefully undid Mia's letter work and pulled out one sepia picture of a baby with the name 'Yuko Tsuki' etched on the back with the message 'find him.'

That's it?

I didn't know what to say, I expected more I guess... I wanted a heartfelt message, a goodbye of sorts. Something to remember her by...

"They were separated when traveling overseas to the orphanage. Parents were gone around the same time it seems." Eric left me after a while when I seemed stable, but the moment he left I locked the door to express my real emotions.

...

I'll find him.

I'll find him.

I'll find him.

I repeated to myself on the plane a week later, clutching onto that photo Mia trusted me with.

I've cried enough.

I don't want to go to that uninvited funeral anyways.

I have a mission to do.