18. Cup De La Cake ..

Weeks went by without us touching on the subject of Emberline, or how she chose to be amongst the living once again.

But he did open up to teaching me a lot more.

Which I was grateful for.

I thought that after our shower conversation, he'd be too afraid to show me anything that could run me off. But I guess his faith in my strength was as high as he'd claimed it to be.

That warmed my soul.

And I wanted to continue to learn, for myself, for others. If there was any way I could bring them peace in their last moments, then that's what I was going to do. That's what I would make my newfound purpose.

As well as-

"Mm.."

Jet black hair swept across my chest, Ezra's hypnotic blue eyes peered up at me. My perspective made him seem small, like a child looking vulnerable beneath me. It was strange, yet adorable, but I wouldn't tell him that though.

"Hello. Beautiful."

I moved splayed hair from my face with the palm of my hand, and gave a huge smile. "Hello, yourself, handsome."

"Well rested?"

I shrugged.

"You have to try, Emberly."

I sighed, "It's not that I don't try, I just.. jolt up out of my sleep. First thing on my mind is how long I've been out, what I've missed."

"I wouldn't let it happen. The first time it needed to. You needed to change. I only knew what was happening when I hadn't seen you for quite some time. I went to check on you and when I shook you to wake you when you hadn't answered to my call, you didn't budge an inch. But.."

"But? There's a but? You didn't tell me there was a but."

"It was something I wanted you to see for yourself."

I narrowed my eyes at him. "You've piqued my interest, Reaper. Please continue."

"Shall we reap the field?" He pushed up off his hands and climbed off the bed, then waited for my answer.

I rolled my eyes at his wording, climbing out of the bed and moved past the hand he'd held out for me to take.

"Away we go to reap the field." I scoffed, making my way to the bathroom. "But this conversation isn't over."

*

"It's beautiful." I twisted on my heel, taking in the sight of this extravagant mansion we found ourselves in. Though knowing Ezra, everything was planned, calculated.

Every one of our reapings were.

He knew their cause of death, the emotions that rippled off of them in the midst of it, and the lives that flashed before their eyes.

"So what's their name? How will they pass?"

Ezra knew I liked addressing them for the people they were, even if they wouldn't be apart of the mortal world much longer, they were still that person. That unique soul, and it was comforting to know I could help them feel that way.

The passing part was just my morbid curiosity.

But I guess that came with being a Reapress. Sadly.

"You, Emberly."

Me?

I quickly turned in his direction, meeting his eyes instantly.