46. I Had A Bad Feeling You Were Going To Say Something Like That .

"What are we going to do? I mean, we can't just let him roam around by himself, look what he's done the last time he did that!"

"Calm down, it's been hours, nothing's happened. We apparently have time, how much, is unknown. But we can't spend it freaking out."

"So what the hell do you propose we spend it doing?!" She threw her hands up, turning to me.

I eyed her, hoping she understood that as mind yourself. "Figuring out what our next move is.. levelheaded and calm." I turned my attention away from her.

"You're right, I'm sorry." She sat down opposite of me. "I just wish I could be as settled as you are with all of this. I don't think I've ever been calm in my life." She sighed heavily, looking around the old room.

We were hulled up in some abandoned house that actually had potential to survive, yet no one to provide it with the tender, love, and care necessary to get it there.

It would've been a home I picked out myself.. had I still been alive to do so.

"I have far from settled myself with Ezra's nonsense." I countered, "Otherwise I wouldn't be trying to figure out a way to contact whatever thing's doing his bidding."

I could feel the hesitation in her next question, "Even with what he's done-"

I slammed the book down that I had stole from Ezra's study to read about this being he spoke of, "I know what you're about to say," I shook my head, "Don't."

She rubbed her forehead, combing through her hair. "I just don't understand how-"

"I-I love him, Em." I turned to look at her. "That's all I know. That's all I feel. And that's enough to get me to do something about it. What? I don't know, because he clearly has the upper-hand in knowing who to go to for these kind of dealings, but I.. I have to try."

"And if you.. when you succeed? What then? Spend eternity with someone trying to push you away and never see me again?"

Ouch, I knew that was coming sooner or later.

"I'll-" What could I say to that? "I'll always be with you."

"And if you were to return with me, you think he wouldn't always be with you? That Reaper would follow you to the ends of the earth. You know that."

"I don't want to be followed. I want to be accompanied. And it's his company I need, M.J."

She gradually nodded her head, "He's your Aaron of the afterlife." She smiled. "It's kind of funny really.."

This time I eyed her as if she'd finally lost what left of her mind she'd had. "No one can compare to Jay, Em."

"You loved Dad and would do anything to be by his side. Like walk right into death's hands to make sure he had a fighting chance."

"Your point?"

"My point being you're doing the same thing for Ezra. You're sacrificing your life to be with this man. Sacrificing living the full life you desperately deserve, Mom, yet again."

"You don't think I know that?!" I screamed, exasperated and overwhelmed by everything. I felt my eyes begin to burn, "I know it.."

After a few seconds of silence, I felt a hand lightly place itself over mine, "As long as you know what you're giving up." She smiled weakly.

"I'm giving you up, once again.. Sacrificing getting to know you, my little girl, my little Cupcake.."

"You're wrong." She shook her head in disagreement. "We've had the most unusual, yet blessed opportunity to be together again. Even.. even if it isn't permanently. Nothing is suppose to be.. nothing except.."