56. Your Light Will Ignite My Flame .

Ezra's POV

"No, no! Ember, no!" I pulled TouFauNe as carefully as I could from her chest and tossed the useless blade aside, regretful I had even chose to pull her from her depths after all this time.

Foolish, foolish, Azrael! You've endangered her trying to save her, you keep-

"E-Ezra.." My entire being stilled at the sound of her broken voice and all I could hear beyond that was the repeated sound of my blade breaking flesh.

A blade not of the mortal world and a body no longer of the mortal world. Meaning I could cause her more harm than good, and that's exactly what I had done.

"I'm here, I'm right here." And though I spoke loudly, it was as if she couldn't even hear herself.

She just.. cried for me.

"Don't.. don't let me go.." Tears rolled down her face as her eyes flitted closed.

"No, no. Listen to me, Ember, you have to keep your eyes open, okay? Can you hear me, lover?" I began whispering to her, or to myself, I wasn't sure anymore. "I need you.. my soul needs you.."

She grew quiet. And still. And when I went to inspect her, her hand slid from around my forearm. She had been holding onto me and now, my light was slipping away, my flame was dying out.

I put my hands over her chest and chanted, prayed with my entire being. I tried magic I had yet to fully comprehend, attempting to swap my very soul for hers, but it was to no avail.

"Come on, come on." I said in one breath, working around her body, trying to find any means possible to redo what I'd done. To heal her from the inside out.

"Your true colors, Angel of Death, what you really are. You destroy everything you touch, you kill every light outshining you. And you keep killing the woman I love."

My blade was plunged into his chest in the next second, just inches away from his halo.

"This," I sank it further in, "Isn't," Further, "About," Deep to where my hilt nearly tapped his chest, "Love." I twisted TouFauNe, grinding it into his angelic flesh, reveling the sound of his piercing cries as he tried to claw the blade from his body.

With my hand still on the grip of my blade, I guided the angel to the ground next to Ember.

"Take joy in your proximity to her, for this will be where you spend your last moments, Archangel, and that's a better death than you deserve."

"I.. won't die.. so easily.. I will always find my way from death's eternal hands. This won't work for her and you know it. I may have light left, but as you see," He outstretched his last semi-good wing to show its phase of decay, "It won't be much to save another."

"I've noticed." I smirked. "You've escaped me a remarkable number of times. But you'd be a fool to assume that had anything to do because of your stealth, Archangel."

"Let.. me guess-"

"Don't need to, you're right. Only because of this blonde-haired, blue-eyed angel are you here now." I smiled, but it was of no humor, only satisfaction and honestly.. fear. Fear that he was right and his light would not be enough for her. "But not for long."

Please work. If you can hear me God, this is and will be my first and last request of you.

I prayed over Ember's body as I lay her in the correct positioning.