48. Make Deals Poor Souls Never Win .

"Do you think he's here?"

"If he is, you don't have to whisper."

"Well, if he isn't, I don't have to."

"Then you should stop whispering." I said exasperatedly, as Cupcake and I made our way around Ezra's home in search of him.

He hadn't been in his room, mine, Cupcake's, Ana's, nor his study. The usual charge in the air I felt by his presence didn't feel evident.

"Damn."

"What is it?"

"He isn't here."

"How do you know? Are you sure?"

"I'm sure."

"Well, call him or whatever it is you do. You're still his Reaper in training, I'm sure you have some easy connection line to him."

"I'm almost positive the Scribe revoked my position under Ezra after we basically spat in his face."

"God, how I wish we'd literally more so than figuratively done that." She sighed. "Next time."

Ding. "Speaking of the fat man in the sky, do you think that's where.."

"I doubt it. It's one thing to face the Scribe, but there's a chance he'd might run into Michael and I don't think he'd risk that right now. Especially not while we have the Amazonian angel locked up."

"Wait.." Light bulb number three.

Cupcake had me on a role.

"What is it?"

"He wasn't in Anahita's room." I restated.

"Yeah," She scoffed, "I know, I was there with you."

"But guess who else wasn't?"

It took my poor child a few moments, but her own light bulb soon went off above her head as well.

"Ana! He took Ana!"

"Now the question is.. where?"

"And why?" She tapped her chin with her finger.

"I have a funny feeling I already know why, lets go."

"Where are we going now?"

"To the portal with the stars. We're not calling Ezra here.. we're going to him."

Ezra's POV

"You're fortunate I didn't leave you with that monster."

"I couldn't thank you enough. The-the Dealers have always.. terrified me." The brunette angel said softly.

"Don't thank me just yet." I warned, because if needed be, I would happily try yet again to trade her life for Ember and M.J.'s.

"If not out of place, may I ask where too now, Reaper?"

I didn't answer her, instead I ripped a line in the teetering dimension of the Dealer's and my own, opening a way into my home quicker than any other means of traveling.

Usually not the safest, but seeing as to the wretched monster had taken off in the midst of our deal, there was no fear of him following me uninvited.

I pulled myself through and yanked the fallen angel along with me.

I paused in front of my study, a hint of a presence still lingering in the air, absent fingers that ran along the walls still leaving an impact in the room.