19. Well , A White Mist Wouldn't Fit Me .

"But I thought we came for his soul." I was completely confused now. How was Miss Crème de la Crème here going to be the one to die, when the asshole right here was screaming murder me?

"We have. Her soul has a different purpose, one not of our business. Can you not feel it?" He closed his eyes, lips slightly parting as if he were going to draw in a breath.

He was feeling for something. He was concentrating.

And I should have been too. But it was easier said than done. Ezra's had God only knows, literally, how many years of practice at this, I had only just begun.

Yes, I could pick up auras and energies, vibes and changes of mood in the atmosphere, but not all of the time could I sort them apart from one another.

Especially when they happened all at once.

"More of a selection is that way, madam. And I'll be right back, don't you run off anywhere." The dark brown haired adulterer that I'd now lost all patience and sympathy for, having learned his background, said to Cupcake.

"I can't just collect him now?" I asked Ezra.

"It is not meant to be that way."

"What? If this man's soul is the one we've come for, there's no reason for her to die. Unnecessary death. You know my rule. I don't care whether you're the one committing it or not, it's preventable."

"Emberly, it has been this way long before you and even I. Not everything goes the way you wish."

"You think I don't know that by now? If it did, I wouldn't be dead." As soon as the words left my mouth, I'd wished to God, the Scribe, even Michael that I hadn't said it.

Ezra's face never changed, but the tightening of his knuckles let me know enough.

"Stay put right there, Cupcake. I have a real treat for you that I need get." The man called out to the woman.

"Oh? Well then, off you go." She teased- or rather, didn't. She seemed like she was here for whatever she could get, and the least likely thing on that list was the first on his, sex.

Ezra moved swiftly across the room, going towards the woman instead of the the direction of the man.

What is he doing?

"Ezra?"

When I finally got him in eye's view, I noticed his dark mist beginning to pour what seemed like out of nowhere, and starting to surround the woman.

Yet unlike the men who happened to die behind it back at the club, the woman had yet to notice anything out of the ordinary.

"Ezra, what are you doing?"

"If he gets close enough to her, he'll die. But she's already poisoned his drink, so she might beat us to his soul."

"You're trying to save her?"

"Is it not what you wish?"

Tears filled my eyes immediately, "You'd go against.. everything?"

"For you."

I sniffled, "For me?"

He made a face at me, "Don't make me regret this. Straighten up, we have business to tend to."

I quickly wiped my face, yet kept a smile. "Right."

I could feel the man before hearing him, as he made his way back to the room.