25. The True Face Of The Soul .

~Ezra's POV~

Days, that's how long Ember had managed to hole herself up in her room, only showing her face to those who dared to enter her blinding light.

A light too pure for even me to stand for too long.

After realizing Ted had something to do with Ember, whether it was by some relationship or just being involved with her death, she shut down.

Or rather, blew up.

I nor her prodigy have been able to reach her. I'd even tried Michael, albeit it going against everything I've practiced and preached thus far.

But for her, I'd give my wretched life if I hadn't already lost it so many years ago.

"What should we do? I mean, she can't go on like this forever."

I turned to the Christmas colored hair girl that hovered behind me, "Actually. She can. Have you forgotten?"

"Right, the whole.. dead thing." She slumped back into the couch, her face contorted in minor disgust.

"Death is not a thing."

"Then what is it? Besides you, obviously."

Another soul who thinks of me simply as death. Nothing more, nothing less.

I was once a man. I felt the need to remind myself.

"Death is not the opposite of life, it is the absence of it. It is the missing link between what claims you as the living and what claims you as the existing. Death is not the epitome of a lifeless vessel, but the true face of the soul."

"Once again, Reaper. Dumb it down."

"Death is the true birth of the soul, where it'll live forever."

"So, you help people with that? Their.. rebirth?"

"Death is a renaissance."

"But.. you're death."

"I am a form in which death comes in."

"And Ember, is she not like you?"

"She is, but.. better." I thought of a more fitting word. "Pure."

"Well, how do we.. I don't know, fix her?"

"You cannot fix what is not broken."

"I think if I've picked up on some broken pieces of Ember, then I'm almost one hundred percent sure that you have, Reaper."

"..She is lost." I finished gathering information up in a room of mine, where I kept records of Earthdwellers that've had special exceptions than your normal dweller. "Not broken."

"Ember has no clue about her past, does she?"

I considered sitting to talk with this colorful one, but her questioning became harder to bare. Especially with Ember being the only thing on my mind.