58. As Fate Would Have You .

Ezra's POV

"This is where he waits?"

"This is where he dies." Gabriel corrected. "He won't be leaving this realm. He's too afraid to face the wrath of God, yet would choose to die alone."

"So, it's true." A part of me didn't know exactly how to feel about it, "The old man really is about to die."

"As good as gone." Gabriel led the way. "Where he resides is this way."

He led my a ways until we reached what seemed to be a small shack of some sort. I looked to him once the Archangel stopped just short of the door.

"This is as far as I go, old friend. He wishes to see you in his last moments."

"We both-"

"As much as I hate to say it, Azrael, the old man is right. I've had my last few words with him, putting him up in this place. It's your turn to.. say goodbye."

"You helped to hide him?"

"You would have too. If he had not harmed your Reapress, then you would still treat him as-"

"What?" I scoffed. "A father?"

"Not necessarily a father, but at some point, you and I both know that he was a figure we looked up to."

"Before he tossed me aside."

"As he did me."

"You were given a position, a duty, Gavriell."

"Yes, but did that mean I had to end my friendship with him? I didn't, he did. Just as he chose to cast you aside. He was envious of us, Azrael. Yes, our company lessened, but have you and I never not been friends? In this life, or our last?"

I nodded, knowing he was right.

Gabriel and I had been friends a very long time. We were friends in our human life and happened to remain friends in this one. Though being an Archangel called for many years away at a time occasionally.

Gabriel, or Gavriell in our human life, fought along side me. In battle, in war, in the name of freedom, for those we love. The only difference between us now was that I chose to keep my freedom, he chose to fight for a god.

Though I knew his god knew no bounds, was very much fear worthy, and I even found myself praying to him for Ember's sake from time to time-I could not bring myself to fight for anyone anymore. For lifetimes, only myself.

Look at you now, Reaper. Fighting for not only yourself, but those you love.

For Ember.

I never thought that after Emerianaa and Ezryk, that I could ever love again. Let alone realize that I had been expanding my love to not only Ember, but her daughter, Myia, my old friend Gabriel, hell.. even the-

"The Scribe awaits you, old friend." I looked to Gabriel once more before stepping forward. "Napharius Romolus awaits you."

*

Ember's POV

"Seems like those two had some.. history."

"You make them sound like they dated." I smirked at Cupcake. "And I don't think, from experience, he was into that sort of kink."

Cupcake tapped her finger to her chin. "No, but can you picture that Gabriel's hunk of flesh going-"

"I'm going to go check on Ana." Myia quickly made for the door.