Chapter 12 - The Music Box

With a sigh, I sat down on the chair in math. Starting Monday morning with math is simply not fair. Not because I was bad at math. I was actually pretty good.

"Hey Christine” I turned my head, to see Elliott come walking in my direction, before he sat beside me.

"Hey,” I smiled, and moved a little. We sat at two-and-two tables in math. Mr. Justé said that it could ”improve someone's performance” if we were sitting together.

And by ”someone” He meant the football boys who always sat down in the other end of the room anyway, and did nothing but disturb the lesson. I had once been forced to sit next to Kayne Williams, but back then it didn’t really mattered. He was that kind of guy you always have a tiny crush on.

Kayne had the most perfect light brown skin and dark brown hair. A real hottie.

Just too bad that he had turned into a real dick because of all the attention Isabelle had given him.

“Woah Kayne, have you been working out?” Sounded her high-pitched voice as she stood and towered on his upper arm.

I rolled my eyes. They behaved like 14 years old girls, who will do anything just to get a moment's attention. Whether the attention is positive or negative.

“How was your weekend?” My thought was interrupted by Elliott's voice.

I hesitated for a second. I knew I couldn’t tell Elliott about everything that had happened. Especially not about the Jason thing. He wouldn’t understand it.

"I was 69 Cuffs with Emma and Coraline,” I replied, and sent him a convincing smile.

That wasn’t a lie. I had been out with my girls. He didn’t have to get the detail with Jason and Gabriel right now.

“Silence in class, please!” Mr. Justé growled and stuck his little bald head into the class.

"I'll have to go down to the office and help with something, so start working on page 46 in the book!” He said cheerfully, before he disappeared again and closed the door behind him.

“Start working on page 46... Tsh! Does he really believe we’re gonna do that,” Isabelle giggled, to her little group copy girls, who eagerly squealed and looked hopefully over at Kayne, wishing he could see how much fun they had. That was something girls always did. It was important that others could see they had fun.

“What about you?” I muttered to Elliott, while I took out a pencil from my brown pencil case.

"I played at a concert. On the piano, you know.” He smiled, his eyes studying my face.

"It's so cool that you can play on the piano!” I said enthusiastically. I had once played the piano when I was like 10 years old, but I had chosen dancing instead.

He shrugged his shoulders.

"I'm pretty sure you can play on Elliott's piano if you want, Christine!”  Matthew’s voice was heard Matthew's from behind.

My eyes opened his up, and Elliott looked shyly away.

I turned my head and sent Matthew my ”god-you're-so-childish” look.

“Elliott, how do I make the first task?” I mumbled, annoyed that Matthew had destroyed our conversation

“You need to find out if it is a negative number. If it is, then you can’t solve it.” He said, and winked at me.

"Thanks,” I smiled back, and began to write down.

“Um, Christine... There's something I need to ask you.” Elliott muttered lowly and looked down at his book.