Chapter 13 - A classic mistake

Saturday, 9th November

Christine's P.O.V

 I had agreed with Gabriel to meet him this afternoon before I was going out with Elliott. I actually had looked forward to this date, but then Jason destroyed it all. I know it's not his fault. Why couldn’t he just hate me? Then I wouldn’t have to think about him. But I didn’t want him to hate me. Maybe Jason was quite unusual but there was something unique about him.

I sat in front of the mirror and pulled out the rubber band that had held my braid all night. Even though I wanted my hair in a bun, I prefer sleeping with my hair in a braid.

It was tonight that I was going out with Elliott. He just wouldn’t tell where we were going.

Elliott's parents were quite wealthy, both some bank people. So maybe he would invite me to Le Bon?

Only because I was going to Gabriel’s place, I just pulled in some tight black jeans and a burgundy sweater. Otherwise I would usually just choose to putter around in my grey sweatpants and a dingy white T-shirt, since it was Saturday.

When I had tied my hair up in a bun, I went out into the hallway to find my jacket. It was 3 p.m. and Gabriel had promised to pick me up in a few minutes.

"I’ll go now," I shouted as I took on my brown Uggs.

“Huh, where are you going?” My mother asked disoriented.

I rolled my eyes of her, making sure she couldn’t see it.

"I'm going to Gabriel’s place, to help him with some homework,” I muttered, and fumbled with the jacket's zipper.

“But you’re going out with Elliott later, right?” She stood in the doorway and looked at me.

"Yes, but not before evening,” I said and pulled in the door handle. She sighed.

"What?"

“We miss you here at home! You’re suddenly not that much home,” She smiled gently.

Though she meant it in pure goodness, it felt like she was trying make me feel guilty for going out.

“Maybe because I'm 17,” I laughed, and shook my head.

"See you later, Mom,” I said, and gave her a quick hug.

"See you Christine. Say hi to Gabriel from me,” She winked at me before I went out of the door.

As promised, Gabriel was waiting for me. I had asked him to hold a few houses away, just as a precaution, so my parents wouldn’t be to suspicious.

"Hey Christy,” he muttered as I jumped on the back of his motorcycle.

We drove the usual route; through the North-East forest and then in a unknown direction of his house. It was lying in the northerly end of Stratford.

We stopped at the familiar gravel parking lot outside their enormous house.

I went up to the door and opened it. The familiar smell of the boys hit my face along with a mix of smoke and burnt cakes.

“Geronimo, I told you to wait until I was back!” Gabriel sighed resigned as he closed the door behind me.

“Calm down, I just wanted to try- Hi Christine!” Geronimo said cheerfully as he stepped out from the kitchen.

“You’re baking cakes again, Geronimo?” I giggled and stood on my toes to look over the shoulder of Geronimo and into the kitchen.

“Don’t look! It's a surprise,” Geronimo winked at me.