Chapter 20 - Hidden pain

NEW! Watch the official trailer for Precious at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeH9r41BqjQ (Link in my bio)

It was still awkward over at the school. The others stared furtively at me every time I walked down the hall.

"Isn’t that Jason McCann's girlfriend?”

"Jason McCann was in a fight with Elliott Thomson, because Christine Dion had kissed Elliot.”

"No, it was Elliott who kissed her. I saw it myself.” They whispered. Lies.

And by “they” I mean everybody. Rumors have always been an important part going to school. Regardless of whether they were false or true.

Although I missed Jason more than anything, I was glad he wasn’t here and hear all these rumors. Elliott and me, kissing? Imagine Jason hearing that. He would go crazy. Even though it’s not true.

"It's certainly something Christine had paid Jason McCann for! You are all so naive to believe that they are together,” Isabelle laughed and shook his head. Sorry, her*. In my head she’s just so goddamn ugly that you can’t really tell if she’s a boy or girl. Oh dear Isabelle, you really know nothing. The world must a simple place for a dumb ass like you.

"Christine!” Pheobe came running in my direction.

"Hey Phebs,” I smiled and took a book out of my locker.

"Everyone is talking about what happened between you, Elliott and Jason McCann!” She exclaimed, staring at me.

"No, really?” I muttered ironically.

"I didn’t thought you and Jason... had something?” She whispered and looked over her shoulder.

I shrugged.

"You haven’t asked.” I sighed, annoyed that she came now that there were rumors. Pheobe wasn’t like that otherwise. She usually never cared about the rumors. She stayed out of everything.

"Sorry, I just thought you wouldn’t see him, because Emma said he was dangerous,” she said and looked down at the floor.

"Emma says a lot of things,” I muttered and closed the closet.

"Agreed,” Pheobe giggled and walked with me down the hallway. We walked in silence. Or well, there’s never really silent at a High School. But it felt like when we passed someone they stopped talking. Have you ever tried that? Awful feeling.

"Have you talked with Elliott?” Pheobe said quietly.

I shook my head.

"He has ignored me,”

"But we have math together now, so I'll try to talk with him.” I said with a sigh.

"Hey,” Pheobe said soothing and put a hand on my shoulder.

"You’re one of Elliott’s best, and well only, friends. Of course he doesn’t want to lose you.” Pheobe slightly smiled.

"And maybe what Jason did was wrong, but hey, Elliott should act up and show that he’s not an underdog,” She giggled.

I laughed and nodded.

"Is he sweet?” Pheobe smiled and leaned against the wall, as we stood in front of the mirror in the girls' restroom.

"Who? Jason?” I giggled and ran a hand through my hair.

"Yeah, he definitely is,” I said and smiled to myself. I looked around to make sure that there wasn’t anyone.