Chapter 38 - I can't do this

Christine’s POV

There were only 10 minutes before I had to show my dance, and Jason still hadn’t shown up! Where was he? He promised me to be here!

"Try to call him.” Elliott said, who had driven me over here, since Jason never showed up at my house.

"I’ve tried,” I sighed, and clicked in Jason’s number.

I waited a few seconds before his phone automatically went on answerphone. That fool stood me up!

At that moment, my phone rang. A sigh of relief escaped my lips as I saw ”Jason” was popping op on the display.

"It’s Christine?” I said as I quickly pressed, ”answer”.

"Hey babe,” Jason said in his sleepy voice in the other end of the phone.

"Jason where are you? I have to perform in about 10 minutes!” I whispered stressed, and looked at the clock that hung over the door.

"Baby, promise me you wont get mad at me.” It felt like someone had hit me in the stomach. I knew that phrase too well to know that it wasn’t good news.

"What is it Jason?” I said trying to sound as calm as possible as I rubbed my fingers against my forehead. Actually, I kind of had this feeling that Jason wouldn’t show up, I just can’t believe he didn’t tell me before now.

"I’m unable to see your performance. Actually, I'm in Ottawa right now.” Jason sighed. No apology, nothing. And what the hell was he doing in Ottawa?

"Okay.” I said grimly. There were a few seconds of tense I could hear Jason sigh again.

"Good luck with it. I'll have to go now. Love you.”

I didn’t even bother to answer him. I just whispered a ”Bye.” before I hung up.

I took the phone away from my ear and shook my head.

"What did he say?” Elliott asked, and caressed my back.

"He's not coming." I said, shaking my head.” I can’t believe it. He promised!”

Elliott shook his head. ”Fuck Jason. I'm here.”

I smiled weakly at him. It was nice that Elliott was so supportive, but deep down inside it was Jason I wanted to be here with me. But Jason had been so strange lately. Ever since he told me North and South's fight had begun again, he had been an extremely differently. Is that even possible? That a person’s personality change this fast? But what I didn’t understand was why Jason hadn’t told me this yesterday. Did he think it would hurt less if he postponed this disappointment? Tsk, he's so pathetic!

"Christine Dion.” A lady voice called from the room where I had to show my dancing.

"Good luck, I’ll wait for you out here.” Elliott smiled, and gave my back a pat before I, wearing my ballet skirt and curled hair, stepped into the room where Madame Giry and two other judges sat looking eagerly at me. I curtseyed to them before I placed the music box in front of them. My hands were shaking as I turned around the key on the back of it, and the sad music filled the room.

I’ve never identified myself this much into a dance as I did now. I felt like Evelyn; a desperate and exploited beauty that has nothing but her dancing. Dramatic but true. That was how I felt right now. The music from the chest almost made me cry because it made ​​me think of Jason and how much I missed him. Missing his presence, missed what we had before all this North South bullshit.