Chapter 17 - Black Lies

“So you just let him stand there? Alone?” Emma said frightened.

I shrugged my shoulders.

"Yeah, that was pretty much what happened,” I muttered.

We had just finished our ballet lesson and I had decided to tell Emma everything. About how Jason had driven me home after the date –but I had omitted to tell her about what happened in the car. About my parents, who were oh so worried! About Jason who had nearly beaten Elliott up... Everything. It was nice to tell this to someone who actually listened. Now I just hoped that she would understand it.

"Christine!” Emma hissed at me.

"What?"

"Can’t you see how much you mean to Jason?” She said.

“I wish someone would fancy me that way he does with you,” she sighed.

I furrowed my eyebrows at her.

"Do you even realize how many problems I’ve gotten because of Jason?” I spat at her.

"I didn’t meant it in that way...” she then muttered.

"What did you do afterwards? After you started walking?” She tried again, changing the subject.

"I just walked for a while, but luckily there was a bus not that far away,” I sighed.

"Really? Was he just letting you go, like that?” She asked surprised.

"No," I said and smiled slightly.

"I asked him to leave me alone,"

Emma pinched her finger and looked down at the floor. She always did that when she was afraid to make me mad.

"Christine... I can’t really understand why you just can’t ask Jason, what it is he wants? I mean, I think you confuse both him and yourself, when you can’t decide whether you want to be together or not?” She said quietly.

I looked away. Of course, I was confusing myself. A lot actually.

"I just… I don’t know...” I whispered.

"He seems so mysterious,” I looked up at her.

"Christine, he is Jason McCann,” she whispered back.

I nodded affirmative.

I threw my ballerina shoes into the locker and started walking.

"What do we even know about him?” I asked as we walked towards the door that lead outside.

"I've heard that he had killed innocent people. And Coraline says he sells drugs down at Cuffs,” she sighed.

"But is it true?” I looked questioningly at her.

She shrugged shoulders.

"I don’t know,”

She pushed the door open and held it open for me.

"No, you gotta be kidding,” I muttered, holding a hand out in the dark gray rain.

"We'd better hurry before it gets even worse,” Emma said, ​​and began to jog, with me right behind her.

"Are you going home to talk with your parents now?" Emma asked caring.

"No, they’re with Emily out to visit my grandfather,” I sighed. I had also used to take with them out there. But now, it was suddenly not that funny to just sit there and drink tea and play with cards.