Chapter 56

"How are you doing, Lolo?" Camila asked over the headset as Lauren sat staring out of the helicopter's windows over the countryside.

"Doing fine," she replied, feeling anything but actually. The fear she'd discovered of flying had indeed eased, but she still wasn't comfortable with the whole helicopter/plane travel idea; not very comfortable at all. Still, having her hand held by a pretty brunette certainly made the whole flying experience that bit more enjoyable.

"Really?" Camila asked, and even through the metallic sounding headset, she could hear her amused disbelief. She turned away from the window to see Camila smiling at her, her eyes sympathetic, tinted with a hint of happiness.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she told her with a reassuring smile, "Not great mind you, but good enough right now."

"Fair enough," Camila replied squeezing her knuckles, "shouldn't be long now really. Look, you can see Miami over there,"

She looked out into the distance, following her finger towards the dark smudge on the horizon, the familiar buildings popping up as a hint at that famous skyline. "What a shame, I've been enjoying our trip so much," she joked getting a playful bump from the brunette who leaned back across her and into her own seat.

"You can be a sarcastic cow sometimes, Lolo, you know that?" she said with a grin, "I have no idea why I love you,"

Lauren was more than pleased to hear the playful note in Camila's voice, it had been a shit time for her and, despite her efforts, this was the first time she'd felt that Camila meant it; and she was determined to play along.

"Probably the same reasons that everyone else loves me," she joked trying to relax again, "my charm, personality, devastating wit and firm muscles,"

"Well, one out of three isn't bad," Camila replied, her voice now clear over the headphones, despite the din from the rotors. "I can't complain about the muscles, not sure about the rest though, especially the charm part,"

"Your mother thinks I'm charming," she retorted as Camila's hand covered hers and squeezed, her thumb idly stroking leeching away the tension, "your mother thinks I'm pretty awesome actually."

"Well," the brunette said with a snort, "maybe you should start dating my mother then... if she can see all these great things in you,"

"Well," she replied, feigning thoughtfulness, "she is very attractive, and of course very rich. Maybe you're right, Camz. If you're not interested in me anymore, maybe I should see if she is interested. After all, she is a bit of a MILF,"

"Ugh, Lauren! Did you really have to?" Camila said with a disgusted look and a slap on her hand that was still clenching the armrest. "Jesus, babe, that's just a couple of steps over the line."

"Really?" she said feigning surprise, "I was actually being serious, you know your mother really is an attractive woman,"

"and I guess I'm a wrinkled old prune who's not worthy of your attentions?"

"I never said that, babe," she told her, letting go her death grip on the arrest and wrapping her arm around her shoulders, finding the position a lot more comforting. "Besides, you started this, remember?"

"You're still an idiot, Jauregui," Camila told her, "and I still don't like you," she added, though the way she relaxed into Lauren's embrace told the latter she didn't mean it.

"Yeah well, I like you enough for the both of us," Lauren said, pulling her close and kissing her head, taking care to avoid the headset.

"Guess we're ok then," Camila said snuggling into her, "for now at least. Wait until Mami hears what you called her, though. She'll kick your ass,"