Chapter 59

"Camila, Camila!" Lauren yelled, checking her pulse quickly, looking for some sign of life, as her hand touched her neck her eyes opened and she breathed a sigh of relief.

"Camz, we've got to fucking move," she said as the brunette's eyes stared at her unfocusedly. "We've got to get the fuck out of here, are you ok? Where do you hurt?"

"I'm fine," Camila groaned, "what happened? Did we crash?"

"No, we didn't crash, we're under attack, Camz, we've got to get the hell out of this car before we're fucked; do you think you can move?"

"I think so," Camila said, raising her hand to her face and wiping away the blood. "Am I bleeding?"

"Yes, it looks like you've cut your forehead," she said, spotting the steady trickle of blood that was ebbing from the thin ugly gash as Camila wiped away the blood that had covered her face. "It's nothing too serious, we'll worry about that in a minute," she said reassuringly, already putting it out of her mind and starting to evaluate their options.

To the outsider, that would probably seem callous, but right now a scratch like that wasn't their immediate problem, it wasn't exactly life threatening. No, their immediate problem was getting out of this train wreck and into something that resembled cover. Over the endless whining in her ears, she could still hear the sound of gunfire, the bad guys hadn't just hit and run, they were sticking around to finish the job; and if they didn't get out of here, they'd probably succeed; trapped in here, they were sitting fucking ducks.

She looked around her, trying to get an idea of their tactical situation; putting it bluntly, they were fucked. The front of the vehicle was totally wrecked, the driver and the Aussie hanging awkwardly in their seats. She had no idea if they were alive or dead, and no time to check them; they were nothing at the moment but an inconvenience, blocking her way to the front windscreen. The obvious way of escape was to climb out of the right-hand side doors, but there was no way she was doing that; it would be suicidal to climb onto what was now the top of the car, almost certainly into the path of flying bullets.

Pausing for a second, she made her decision, probably the only one she could; spinning around, she kicked out at the shattered back window of the truck, wincing and swearing as her battered legs thumped into the glass. Fortunately, three more swift, hard, pain filled blows and it was out, cluttering against the dusty surface.

"We're going out the back way," she told a now stirring Camila, thanking the Gods for her insistence on a seatbelt and a helmet. "We're going to crawl to the edge, and then I'm going to cover you, ok?"

Camila nodded, her face understandably terrified. Unfortunately, Lauren didn't have time to comfort her, didn't have the luxury of being able to put her arm around her shoulder and tell her to channel her fear the way she had all those months ago. This time they were well and truly up shit creek, and they weren't just missing a paddle, they didn't even have a fucking canoe to sit in.

"Let's fucking move then, soldier," she said, forcing a smile she didn't feel onto her face, feeling a little bit happier as Camila nodded and began to crawl towards the back, her motor functions seemingly unimpaired by the crash.

Carefully, Lauren twisted around in the back and used the limited space to slip a magazine into the MP7, cocking it and making Camila jump at the sharp noise. With a deep breath, she pulled down the fore grip and slowly crawled past her to the back window; peering out, looking for danger and their next move, spotting an obvious escape route in an instant.

"As soon as I tell you to, I want you to get out and run into that alley; you get to the far end and if it's safe then you get your head down and wait for me, Camila," she said pointing, "do you understand that?"