Chapter 66

You children ready for this? 😁😁😁

-----------------------

The room went silent at that moment, the screen of the television shattered into a million pieces; the only sound was the clunk of the glass shards as they fell from the frame and the wet splashes as her fist dripped blood to the carpet.

"Hold still, Lauren," Sinu said softly appearing at her side and placing a hand on her forearm, "let me have a look at that for you."

She looked down numbly to see her gently lifting her left arm, barely registering the blood and the shards of glass that were sticking out of it.

"Dinah, can you get me a first aid kit or something please, we'll need to clean this up and take Lauren to the hospital just in case."

"Right away, Sinu," Dinah replied, though her voice sounded wrong to Lauren's ears. She heard the conference room doors open and close and felt a slight tug at her hand, looking on detachedly as Sinu pulled out a piece of glass from between her first and second knuckles.

"That was very silly, Lauren, mija," Sinu told her, voice sounding strained, "you might have really injured yourself. Now, where does it hurt?"

"It's fine, Sinu," she said, or at least she thinks she said. It sounded like her voice at least. "it doesn't really hurt; and I'm not going to hospital."

"Well, we really need to get it checked out, mija. It looks like a mess."

She lifted it out of Sinu's hand and looked at it closely. It was certainly a bit bloody, but apart from a couple of glass splinters that she could see, its bark was worse than its bite. She dabbed at it with her sleeve and started to clear off the blood.

"Stop that, Lauren," Sinu berated her, grabbing at her hand with a surprisingly powerful grip. "You'll make it worse; at least let me get my tweezers from my bag."

"It's fine, Sinu," she said again, "and you've got more important things to worry about than my hand; we need to get to Ops to get a sit-rep."

"Right now, mija, your hand is the only thing I can do anything about," Sinu replied calmly, "now let me do what I do best while your people find out what's going on."

"What do you mean?" she asked dumbly, "What you do best?"

"Being a mother, cariño," Sinu said in a voice that sounded so much like her own mother she nearly collapsed. "Now come and sit down and let me help you."

They were sat at the table with Sinu pulling pieces of glass from her hand when Dinah appeared with a small plastic first aid kit in her hand.

"You're such an idiot, Lauser," Dinah said to her as she opened the kit she brought and began dabbing Lauren's hand with some gauze.

"What's going on, boss? Is that story for real?" she said, ignoring the comment.

"Don't know for sure yet," Dinah replied, addressing her. "We're doing everything we can to find out, though."

"Work harder, Dinah," she muttered, wincing slightly as her boss wiped the blood away from her knuckles with an antiseptic wipe; Sinu hovering with a pair of eyebrow tweezers.

"Doing everything I can, Lauren," Dinah replied, "Mel's on the phone to anyone at the Foreign Office that will answer right now. We'll find something out for definite soon."

"Lauren, will you hold still," Sinu said gripping her wrist tightly as she clenched her fist in frustration. "I'm trying to get this piece out; stop making it worse."