Chapter 29

The week following their 'date' went like a blur, Camila having meeting after meeting in preparation for the big arms expo in New York; and Lauren tagging along behind like a puppy. She was doing her damnedest to get her life back on track but between her job and her therapy sessions with Joanna, she'd been struggling for time. Today, though, was different. Today, she'd managed to do some shopping and even a bit of flat hunting courtesy of a rare, and unwanted, day off.

"I'm not taking a day off." she'd said flatly when the subject was raised a day or so earlier.

"You are, Lauren. Normani has arranged cover and I'm making it happen."

"Are you sick of me already, Miss Cabello?"

"Mani, will you talk to her please?"

"Camila is right, Lauren. You need a day off; two ideally. You haven't had a break since you started working for us and you've had several stressful situations to deal with during that time. I have to say that you must take a break. We aren't in the Army, Lauren and tomorrow you are not working; consider that an order."

She'd slammed her hand down on the speakerphone at Normani's words only to find it covered by a smaller one.

"Lauren, it's a good thing, babe; you really do need a break. You've done nearly two weeks straight and you've been going to see Joanna most nights. Take the day off. If it makes you feel any better, I promise not to do anything silly because you're not around."

It had indeed made her feel better, yet she had woken up this morning with a continuing need to call Camila or text her to make sure things were ok. It was only when she'd got back from a painful early morning run to a particularly terse voicemail message that she decided to do as she's asked;

'Lolo, babe, look. I'm happy that you're trying to look out for me and whether it's personal or professional, it doesn't matter. But I have another meeting to go to and you're supposed to be chilling out, so please will you, for my sake, fucking relax? I'll call you later. Now go and swim, or shop or something productive. Stop worrying about me. I'm in good hands today and I'm not going to be leaving the office...ok? I promise I'll be fine with Rachel. Look, I've got to go. I'll speak to you later, babe; have a good day."

So she had. She'd gone out and shopped, bought some work and casual wear, once again eating into her cash advance from Dinah before wandering around some estate agents' windows looking for somewhere to live.

Things hadn't gone well.

So with a mood born of the ridiculous nature of the flat prices and the stress about Camila being on her own gnawing away at her, she was not a happy bunny when she got to Joanna's that evening for her next session. Inevitably, the woman knew it from the outset.

"Lauren, you seem to be wound up pretty tightly tonight. I think we should start by discussing what's wrong," she said as they sat over their now traditional herbal tea.

Five minutes into her rant about how expensive the flats were, Joanna held up a hand.

"It's ok to be worried about, Camila, Lauren. You are allowed to say it."

It stopped her in her tracks, not because she was surprised Joanna knew something about her without her actually saying it; even in the few short hours she'd spent with her, she'd learned that she really was that good. No, it was the abruptness of her statement that stopped her. Normally, she began one of her 'make Lauren analyze herself' sessions with some kind of a question; not a statement like that.

"What?" she managed to stammer out. "I'm not, I'm not worried... she's in good hands today."

"Lauren, for the first time, you put your phone on the table in front of you and you keep looking at it; especially when you mention having a day off. You're all wound up and it's not just because you've bought a few clothes and realized that Miami is actually quite an expensive place to live in."