Chapter 19

The Cabello mansion was virtually empty when they got back from the hospital. It was mid-afternoon and almost everyone was already gone. In fact, it took them ages to find anyone in the house at all. Camila had gone searching from room to room looking for signs of her parents. Lauren made a more discrete search by heading along the corridor to the control room and setting up in there; watching on the screens as the petite dashed from place to place.

It's funny but when she's here and there's no one around to judge her, it's like she's a little kid again, or at least that's how Lauren sees it. Sprinting down the corridors and skidding to a halt next to doorways before poking her head in and calling. Watching her run around with that cast on her arm is like how she would imagine going back in time would be, except that she's anything but a small child; small, yes, but a child?

Definitely not.

She smiled as she remembered the little jibes and digs they'd made to each other on the way back from the hospital, her amused banter at Lauren's absurd argument that she'd be able to use her broken wrist to her advantage; to get fitter in her gym so she might have a chance of beating her in this race she had planned. For most of the entire journey back to Cabellos, she'd been making fun of the green-eyed woman for that and the latter didn't mind at all; it felt good to be able to 'fight' like that; neither of them taking anything seriously. It was good, it was right and it reminded her of a happier time in her life with a person she could do the same with before a fucking sniper took his life.

As she watched her dash from room to room, she pulled her phone from out of her pocket and read her messages. The first was from the office asking if she wanted them to give Lucy her mobile number. Helen suggesting that she suspected that she wouldn't and that she had already fobbed her off, but wanted to check. Quickly, she replied confirming her desire to keep Lucy well and truly out of her life and thanked Helen for covering for her.

The second message was from Andy, asking what time she wanted their team meeting. Again, she quickly sent a message in reply, confirming the time and flicked down to the third. The third message explained a lot of things, the third message was from Dinah.

'Lauren,

Mani and I are getting a ride back to Miami with Alejandro. I can't resist a trip in luxury and as he's flying home. We thought it would be a good idea to accept his invitation. He asks if you wouldn't mind taking Camila back in that Range Rover you've borrowed. I know another drive back may not be top of your priority list right now, Lauren but I'm sure I don't need to remind you that you're on his payroll and on her timetable now; it's no longer a favor, Jauregui. We got ourselves the big deal, babe. Hit pay dirt, struck the mother load and it's all down to you being her fucking superhero!

I'll get the office to liaise with Ally so we can plan out the security for her trips but for now, a huge 'well done' and thanks for getting us properly in here. I doubt I'd have pulled off the deal without what you've done. Keep doing what you do best, Lauren and everything will be great, I just know it.

Remember to go through Normani for anything and everything you need. I'll be going home to New York on Monday, so it'll be a while till we meet again; probably, when you and Camila come over for the Arms Expo. Until then, remember you're doing a great job, Lauren and remember what I told you. You are allowed to take that stick out of your ass and relax a little. There's a difference between relaxed and being careless.

If you need anything, give me a call, anytime.

Dinah

PS. Normani says 'grow some balls'. Personally, I think you've got bigger balls than some of the guys I served with, but I'm not arguing with her, besides, she's probably right. She usually is, so maybe you should.'