Chapter 74

Z-Hour – 2 hours and counting...

One o'clock in the morning brought her an overcast, moonless night and with that in place, all they had to do was put the final stages of the plan into action. The atmosphere inside the safe house was so thick you would have needed a chainsaw to cut through it, and tensions were high.

"Right guys," she said as she slipped on her body armor and shrugged it into position, "twenty minutes till we're due the next contact with Dinah. Let's get everything checked, double checked and packed away before he reports in. I want us to be ready to go at short notice just in case"

There was the usual bustle of activity as weapons were checked and locked down, vests and magazine pouches closed and made silent and camouflage paint applied to faces, hands and anywhere else that could catch the light as they made their approach. This wasn't going to be a smash and grab mission, at least not at first and the silencers that were fixed their assault rifles were a testament to that.

Despite all the complex preparations, the plan was simple enough, though Dinah had questioned it originally. They were going to insert onto the target from a small fishing boat that Rahim had organized and was going to pilot for them; working their way along the lakeside as slowly and quietly as they could.

From her point of view, an attack from the water had the best likelihood of success; believing as she did that they'd be more likely to guard the road side approaches, especially at night.

The first report from Dinah and Tom supported her view. Three guards being seen patrolling the landward side of the compound, and only two being seen anywhere near the lakeside, and one of them seemed to spend most of his time in the small boathouse that they'd planned to use as their entry point.

There was no way in hell that Rahim could get them right up to the compound, though; even the heavily soundproofed engine would be a dead giveaway across the silent waters of the inlet. So to be able to approach without being observed, they were going to be dropped off at the entrance to the inlet and they'd swim their way in; using the small diving tanks that Chris has sourced for them to make the final approach completely underwater.

They needed to get into the boathouse unseen so they could get ready for the main assault; their rifles and comms' gear packed away into waterproof bags to protect the electronics from the prolonged submersion. Still, she believed it was a risk worth taking. She'd rather face one, maybe two guards, than three or four.

"Yo, anybody there?"

Dinah's voice came in over the scrambled comms system, interrupting their cleansing of the site. They were packing everything away ready to be placed into the vehicles for the exfil; time would be of the essence as they ran for the border and they didn't want to leave anything behind that could be used to identify them.

"Receiving, over," Simon, their designated radio officer, responded to Dinah's more casual contact.

"All quiet here, guys," Dinah whispered reassuringly, "these fuckers are so casual it's untrue."

"What's the situation like?" she asked, wishing Dinah would explain herself without them having to force it out of her.

"We've got five bad guys on guard right now, one at the main entrance, one in the boathouse, one on the roof and two patrolling the grounds. They don't look that serious about it, though."

"How so?" she asked starting to get frustrated with her.

"The guy on the main entrance are sitting around and smoking. I think the guy on the roof is asleep and the patrols are just wandering around, that's when they don't stop to have a smoke as well."