Chapter 58

"Inside!" Lauren barked, already hauling out of the tub and putting herself between Camila and the potential danger. Thankfully, the brunette didn't argue, simply climbing out and running for the doorway, grabbing her robe from the floor and pulling it over her naked body as she ran inside.

Lauren grabbed her own robe and followed her, backing away from the tub and taking one last glance at the approaching boat. It didn't seem like a threat, it was hardly the stealthiest of approaches coming down the lake towards them, but she had never been about taking chances, and she wasn't about to start now. Her first priority would be getting them both inside and into cover, then to get a means of defense and plan an escape route.

"Get me the key to that gun case, Camila," she ordered as she closed and locked the back door, dragging one of the chairs across to help block it just in case. "Then find the car keys and get that shed door open, will the remote reach it from here?"

Camila nodded, lifting the small key out of a drawer when she had hidden it and threw it over to her. "Hey," she called out as Camila turned and crossed the room to the table where they had dumped their stuff. The brunette paused and looked at her, eyes concerned, "It's probably nothing, babe, ok? Let's just make sure we're ready for it,"

The brunette again nodded uncertainly as Lauren pulled on her robe and wrapped it around herself, tying it closed tightly as she walked over to the cabinet. Unlocking the door, she considered her options; inside were two hunting rifles and three shotguns, all of them double barreled. She would have given her right foot for a pump action shotgun right now, but she grabbed the nearest shotgun and loaded it, dropping shells into the pockets of her robe.

"Door's open, love," Camila called out from the front of the cabin. Lauren carried the loaded shotgun over to the nearest window and laid it against the wall. "Are we going?"

"No time, Camz," she said, spotting the boat pulling up on the shore, the three passengers preparing to disembark. She rushed back to the cabinet and grabbed another one of the shotguns, loading it quickly. "You go now," she said, "take the car and get somewhere safe, keep your head down and don't stop for anything. I'll call you when it's safe."

"What about you?" Camila protested, "aren't you coming, too?"

"Don't argue, Camz," she snapped, clicking the shotgun closed and heading for the window. "Just go."

"But..."

"Go, Camila!" she shouted, getting annoyed with her obstinacy. "Do as you're told. Get out and get to somewhere safe, I'll cover you."

She heard a huff from behind her as she peered out of the window at the three figures that were approaching. There was something familiar about the way they were moving and slowly, she inched open the door and fired a warning shot into the air.

"What are you doing?" Camila called from behind as she opened the door at the three figures that were belly down on the floor, hardly the pose of hardened terrorists' intent on murder.

"Why are you still here?" she snarled at Camila, opening the door and looking outside at the still prone figures. "Stay where you are!" she yelled at them, pointing the shotgun downrange at the three figures, "do not move, or I will open fire."

In truth, the odds weren't great. She had one shell left, no time to reload, and three hostiles in front of her; if they decided to rush her, she was well and truly fucked.

"Lauren?" A familiar voice called out from the patch of grass, "don't shoot, it's me, Sinu."

"Sinu?" she shouted back, "stand up and walk towards me slowly, the rest of you stay where you are!"