Chapter 5

Apparently, it could. As Lauren closed the door carefully behind her, she's faced with a short brunette standing in front of her, arms folded across her chest, a small wheeled suitcase next to her.

"I understand you're taking me back to the city," Miss Cabello said coldly.

Lauren inclined her head at her and waited. "Well, come on, I don't have all day."

She shrugged in reply, hitched her bag onto her shoulder and headed towards the front doors.

"Didn't you forget something?"

Lauren stopped dead in the middle of the hallway and took a deep breath before turning to look at her. The cheeky bitch was gesturing at her case. Lauren smiled sweetly and turned back to the entrance.

"No, I'm sure I've got everything I brought, thank you very much." She said as she walked away.

"You're such a bitch." She heard her say behind her.

"You're goddamn right." She muttered in reply.

She ignored the grumblings that followed her as she walked down the steps to the X3. She knew the girl was pissed off at her, but she really didn't care. She didn't work for her and despite everything, she hadn't exactly been pleasant to her. She was still stinging from the "psycho" comment as well as the swelling eye and she's not in a forgiving mood. Gorgeous or not, she had no time for spoiled little bitches and their demands; not since Lucy, and she was enough for a lifetime.

As she climbed into the driver's seat, she saw Miss Cabello staring at her.

"Yes, can I help you?"

"Yes actually. You can put my bag in the boot and open the door for me like you're supposed to."

That was the final straw. She pressed the boot release on the dash and closed the driver's door behind her, buckling in and starting the engine. She pressed the button to open the window and frowned at her as the glass rolled down smoothly in a ballet of German precision.

"Let's get this straight, Miss Cabello. I'm driving you as a personal favor to your father. I am not your servant and I'm not your chauffeur. I'm trained to do one thing and that's to keep people like you alive, and I don't do that whilst carrying their belongings like a pack mule. Now, if you'll put your case in the back and get in, we'll be on our way."

She wound up the window and turned on the stereo putting an end to any further conversation. One thing she'd learned when she was in Afghanistan, loud music cures all ills. With the stereo blasting, she watched out of the corner of her eye as Miss Cabello carried her bag effortlessly to the boot and felt the car shake as she slammed it closed.

She stared at her through the rearview mirror as she climbed into the back seat and sat down. "Seat belt please, Miss Cabello," she admonished her lowering the volume for a second, "safety first."

o+o+o

She picked up the tail as they drove up the highway; it was innocuous enough, a plain white Transit van and you see them everywhere. But there was something about the way it was being driven that made her suspicious. It seemed to close on them then drop back suddenly as if the driver realized he'd got too near and tried to evade notice. It was probably nothing but she was still suspicious; the worst thing about coming home after a tour in Afghanistan was you found it hard to trust anything, or anyone, again.

She turned down the stereo and adjusted the rear view mirror until she could see both her and the van.

"Miss Cabello, does your father often have you followed?"