Chapter 60

She woke up in a bed, but she had no idea where the fuck she was. She was tucked up tightly and her head was fucking throbbing. As she opened her eyes, wincing against the light, she saw a familiar face staring down at her, blurred, though, it was.

"Hey, you," Camila said with a smile, "you scared me there; how are you feeling?"

That was a question, how was she feeling? Pretty shit as far as she could tell. Her head was pounding and her vision was fucked. She stared up at Camila's smiling face, her rattled brain blinking rapidly, trying desperately to bring her into focus.

"Where am I?"

It was the only question on her lips as she stared at her, confused and concerned.

"It's ok, babe, you're in a hospital," Camila replied, drifting into focus as her eyes managed to make sense of the world. "You've had a nasty knock."

"What happened?" she asked, her memory not giving her the information she needed.

"You got hit in the head, babe," Camila replied, reaching out to touch her, "one of the police officers we approached thought you were a threat and hit you with his rifle."

"Is that why my face hurts?" she replied, reaching up and tugging at a dressing that was attached to her forehead.

"I'm afraid so, now stop playing with it before you make it worse," Camila replied, pulling her hand away from the dressing and across back down to the bed; squeezing her fingers tightly. "The policeman hit you quite hard; you've been out for ages."

"How long?" she asked, her mind trying to put two and two together from what she could see around her and getting nothing.

"About a day," Camila said, shocking the fuck out of her. "Like I say, he hit you pretty hard, bastard said he hit you because you were carrying a gun in a threatening way, and that we were lucky not to have been shot. It took a lot of fast talking to convince them you weren't a danger to them."

"A danger to them?" she repeated confused, having no idea what she meant, "I had my fucking hands up."

"That's what he said," Camila replied with a smile, rubbing her thumb over Lauren's knuckles soothingly, "and you didn't have your hands up, babe. When you were in front of me, you only had one hand up, the other was still on that rifle you were carrying. Originally, they thought you were responsible for the attack; but I managed to convince them you weren't"

"How did you do that?" she asked wincing in pain as she sat up.

"It wasn't easy," Camila said with a smile, "but I think throwing myself across your body and sobbing my lungs out helped."

"You did that?" she asked, wondering why.

"Of course I did," Camila said, caressing her cheek, "I thought they were going to kill you. Instead, they stopped and got an interpreter and when I explained things, they were all apologetic and brought you here to get you patched up; we've been waiting for ages for you to come around."

"We?" she replied, staring at her with confusion in her eyes, it was all too much. She didn't have a clue as to what was going on.

"Yes, we," a familiar voice said from the other side of her bed. "You gave us all quite a scare there, Lauren," she turned towards that voice and saw the serious face of Dinah Hansen staring back at her, eyebrow raised.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" she muttered, surprised to see the face of her boss here, half-way around the world from where she had seen her last.

"There's gratitude for you," Dinah said winking at Camila, "I drop everything and fly thousands of miles non-stop to get here and all I get is abuse from my staff... why the hell do you think I'm here, Lauser? I'm here to see you." She patted Lauren gently on the leg, "and Normani, of course, but as her medical people won't let me in to see her at the moment, I've had to put up with sitting here all night waiting for you to get off your lazy ass and wake up."