Twelve

Vote||Comment||Thank You

--

The air had become increasingly frigid. A layer of fog had been formed on each windowsill and puffs of smoke could be seen from neighboring chimneys. The ground beneath had been covered with a fresh blanket of snow. The sky above was lit and clear creating a delicate glow. The atmosphere had become drastically different - calm and pleasant. There was an indescribable feeling that came with the fresh snowfall. Moods shifted and postures straightened. 

His apartment was a complete contrast to the blistering outside winds. He wrapped himself with a knit sweater while clinking the ice cubes of his aged whiskey. He felt the liquid as it burned down his throat causing a familiar sensation. He had been writing. At least, he was attempting to do so. 

Whenever his pen hit the paper, his mind began to wander. Instead of wandering back to familiarity (like he needed it to do), he was brought to a place of unknown. He was brought to a pair of brown eyes that could see into your soul and a smile that caused a ripple of butterflies to explode within. This feeling was unfamiliar; a feeling that he long forgotten. Instead of the green eyes that he once knew so well, Ava's brown were the replacement. 

He was unsure why she kept coming back to him, but she did. This, however, did not help him with writing. He knew that he had to bring his mind back to the girl that haunted his dreams. It's for the book, was what he kept telling himself. It had been his initial decision to write about his life - his life with Delaine. This was their story after all. But it was a story that he had kept pushing back and avoided with everything within him. 

Maybe that was why he kept bringing his mind back to her. To Ava. It brought back a sense of happiness, a feeling that he had long forgotten. However, tonight he needed to go back to familiarity. He needed to go back to his past, the one thing that he tried to avoid every single day. 

The days went by and New Years Eve had approached. Harry had become so engrossed with writing his novel that he forgot that the year was coming to an end. It wasn't like he had many plans to celebrate the new year. That was why the date had almost slipped his mind. It wasn't until he got a phone call from a particular brown eyed girl that his days finally caught up with him. 

"Harry! I was wondering if you were doing anything tonight." Her voice was smooth with a hint of excitement. 

"I was planning on solving world hunger. I figured it was a good time to do it." 

"Ah, yes. World hunger. It is a problem," she laughed. "But no! Do you have plans for tonight to ring in the new year?" 

"I'm not much of a New Years kind of guy." 

"You don't seem to be an anything kind of guy. Except a world changer, of course", she giggled in response. 

"Well, someone has to do it," he bantered back. 

"I was wondering if you wanted to join Jacey and I. There's a New Years party going down at The Lounge. It'll be pretty relaxed- nothing too crazy. Would you like to join us?" The thought of hanging out at a lounge didn't sound too appealing to Harry. However, the thought of hanging out with Ava outweighed it. 

"Yeah, sure. I guess world hunger will have to wait." She couldn't help but giggle. The giggle that released the butterflies that Harry was becoming too accustomed to. 

"Meet us at ten. See you soon!" With that she hung up the phone. 

The night carried on and before either one realized, the clock struck ten o'clock. The outside air had decreased to zero causing every girl to reconsider their outfit choices. Pulling down the loose fabric of her navy dress, Ava let out a curse for listening to Jacey's constant persuasion to choose her New Years outfit. "It's New Years Eve. This is the only time when vampy is classy." This had been her excuse for the mid thigh ensemble.