Thirteen

His lips lingered above her own. She moved away slowly, looking down at the ground. Her hair became a blanket covering the heated blush that was overtaking her cheeks. Her eyes looked up and through her eyelashes. He was staring at the ground with such an intensity that had been so unknown to her. Subconsciously her eyebrows furrowed together as she tried to think of the right words to say. She bit down on the inside of her lip. It was a habit that she had developed since her mothers death; she began to speak. 

"Harry -" He continued to look down at the ground not once breaking eye contact with it. She half wished that he would start first except she knew that she was to be the one to speak first. "Please look at me." 

He looked up at her. Brown meeting green. Uncertainty meeting intensity. His eyes were dark and captivating; she couldn't look away if she wanted to. He licked his lips slowly as he tried to fathom the turn of events. 

With one swift movement he grabbed her arm and quickly walked outside of the lounge. He was gentle with his touch but forceful with his movement. They approached his car and he quickly unlocked it opening the door for her. Even admist the tension he was still a gentleman. Quickly, Harry made his way over to the drivers side and got in. Her hands had become fascinating as she stared at her lap. Neither one made any movement. Both caught up in their own thoughts. Without giving her a fair warning, Harry turned around and grabbed her face bringing it closer to his. He looked at her swiftly and without a second thought his lips were attached to hers. He needed to feel her close to him again so that the nagging voices in his head would subside. 

She was shocked with his actions and remained still. She did not give in once. He didn't mind, for this was for him and him only. He needed to kiss her so that his subconscious could feel again. He pulled away slowly, his lip tingling. He looked up at her slowly her eyes still shut. Her breath was uneven yet it still matched his own. "Harry-" Her voice had been masked with an air of uncertainty. 

"I don't date." He said faintly. She opened her eyes. Her eyebrows furrowed as she tried to read his own. 

"What?" Her voice blurred by her own confusion. 

"I don't date. You know that."

"Then why did you kiss me?" She was beginning to become slightly annoyed. It wasn't like she had feelings for him, but his sudden declaration added to her already growing confusion. 

He let go of her face and looked down at his hands. He wasn't sure how he was going to explain his impulsion. He had not been one to open up freely about his own heart and feelings. Even with this action of intimacy he had no intentions of sharing now. 

"You kissed me first." 

She let out a jeer. "What are we? Seven?" How dare he bring this back to her. She had kissed him because of her surroundings. The kiss had been a complete bandwagon effect. Everyone had seemed to be doing it because it was the new year. That was all. Perhaps her five shots had something to do with it too. 

"Well, it's true Ava. You kissed me first." 

"Yeah, but it was out of impulse. Everyone else around us were doing it so I just did it. I'm sorry." Her voice was exasperated. 

"Who's seven now!" He countered back. 

Ava could not believe the turn of events. They had been enjoying their time merely hours ago. Yet now here the were - in a below temperature car fighting about who was acting more adolescent. 

After a few minutes of silence, Ava let out a huff. "This is ridiculous Harry. It's just a kiss." She was tired and annoyed. All she wanted to do was to go home and go to sleep.