Forty

Everything was still. No cars were roaring outside. Not a peep from the birds could be heard. Every breathing creature had been seemingly still at rest, leaving Ava feeling like she was the only one awake. She sat on top of the roof of her new apartment and watched the sunrise. She gripped her fingers tigther against her steaming cup of hot chocolate and made sure her blanket was securely wrapped around her. 

The sky was dark but a break could be seen out into the distance. As the minutes passed by, a collection of reds, oranges, yellows, purles and blues splattered across the morning canvas. Her breath caught in her throat as she glanced out into the city sky. The light of the rising sun reflected off each window across the vast sea of skyscrapers and building windowsils. It looked like a moving snapshot of a painting. She couldn't believe the sight that was before her. She was breathless. She was at ease.

An early morning sunrise was what she needed to take away the anxiety that was built up inside of her. Last night had been one of the hardest nights to fall asleep. A mixture of nerves, excitement, and past hauntings battled inside keeping her restless throughout the night. Ava was lucky enough to get at least five hours of sleep. She laid beneath the Egyptian cotton sheets, tossing and turning, but to her dismay, she was left wide awake. It was the perfect excuse to catch the early morning sunrise - something she had always wanted to do. For once in her life, she was thankful for a restless night. The outcome had been surely worth it. 

After a few more minutes of complete solitude and quiet, her alarm began to beep. Seven AM; one more hour until the start of her summer. The nerves that she thought she concured began to wave through her once again. She stood up from her spot on the roof and made her way down to her apartment. Luckily, it was only two flights down from the roof making it the perfect escape from the world. 

Her morning routine seemed to have taken her an extra long time this morning. She blamed it on the nerves that had ruptured within her as well as the rat nest that laid ontop of her head. After a few minutes of intense combing and a few added curls, her hair finally became presentable. Her new closet was massive. It was definitely comparable to the size of her bedroom back home. Her clothing supply seemed pathetic to the size of space that it had. She made a mental note to go shopping later that day.

She pulled out a neutral pallate for her first day outfit. Sticking to a simple black pencil skirt and a light grey top. The internship package that she had recieved had not been specific on the general work dress code. It was always safer to dress a bit more up for the office. She would have a better idea from the on.

After a few more coats of her lip gloss, she hurried outside her door. It was five more minutes until eight and she wanted to make sure she was not late. The weather outside had increased significantlly over the past hour she was inside. She prayed a silent thank you to the gods above for wearing a light cardigan. One thing that her mother had always told her growing up was that sweat lines are not cute. At exactly eight a dark black car with tinted windows pulls up in front of her. Charles walks out and greets Ava with the warmest smiles. "Good morning Ms. Hastings. I do hope you slept well!" 

"As well as one can sleep the night before a big first day!" She responded with an equally warm smile. 

"Very well then," Charles steps off of the side walk and opens the back door for Ava. She returns the gesture with a small nod and a quiet thank you and slips inside the car. The interior was plush and clearly cost more than her rent. The early morning traffic was decent giving Ava a few minutes to spare. 

"Alright, Ms. Hastings. If you walk up these steps you will see a little blonde lady. That's Emma. She will give you the directions to upstairs where you will meet with Mrs. Jennings and Robert Thompson."