Twenty-Six

It had been a week since Harry and Ava realized their growing infatuation for the other. It had been one week since they both were given different opportunities that would alter their futures as well as their relationship. During this one week period, neither Harry or Ava have had the time to talk or see one another. Both had become increasingly swamped by their work. 

Ava was growing frustrated with each day that she didn't see Harry. It must be true what they say: distance makes the heart grow fonder. Granted they were not far away from the other, not being in contact due to busy schedules made her worried about the summer. She knew that if they were to continue with their relationship and decided to partaker in a long distance relationship, this was a probability. There was a 80% chance that they would drift a part and possibly eventually break up. She didn't want that to happen. She had made up her mind. She didn't want to lose Harry- at least, not that easily. 

It was finally the week of her interview with The LA times. She had been working herself down from a nervous breakdown all day. She had gone over every possible interview question that they could throw her way. She took in a few deep breaths before she turned on her Skype. 

Five minutes later, an incoming call began to ring. Without giving it any second thought, she answered the call. As it connected, she gathered her wits together. The picture of the incoming caller began to change reveling a middle age woman with her hair pulled up into a salt and pepper coloured bun. 

She looked up into the camera and gave a warm smile. "Good afternoon! My name is Felicia Jennings. I am the head of HR here at The LA Times. How are you, Miss. Hastings?" 

Ava let out a quiet sigh of relief. She had been expecting a stern, old woman but was pleasantly surprised to be faced with a warm, kind face. "I am well, thank you. How are you?" 

She smiled in response, "I am fine, thank you." She looked down at her desk, most likely reading from her list of questions. "Alright, let's get started." Ava straightened her posture and took in a deep breath. "Miss. Hastings, tell me about yourself." 

"I am currently enrolled in my local college taking courses for journalism. I have always wanted to be an editor of a newspaper. Throughout high school, I was very involved with my high school paper. I was the editor for three years. I guess you could say that it triggered my fascination for the news." She was watching Ava intently. She gave her an encouraging smile, nodded, and wrote something down. 

"What would you say is your greatest weakness?" 

Ava took a moment to think before she answered. "I am a perfectionist." She looked down at her fingers before looking in the camera once more. "I have a tendency to make sure everything is perfect and just right. I tend to spend too much time perfecting something. But, over time I have learnt to balance that out." She nodded once more, and wrote something down. 

"What kind of newspapers do you like to read?" 

A simple question. Ava's eyes lit up, "I love reading the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, and of course the LA Times. I also enjoy reading local college and university papers." 

Mrs. Jennings smiled at Ava. "Good answer." She winked at her. This gave Ava a sense of relief. 

"Now, your professors have said that you have a lot of talent. I've read some of your sample papers, and I must agree with them. You are a very talented writer." 

"Thank you." 

"Have you ever thought about writing instead of editing?" 

"I have, yes. I do love writing too. I just always dreamt about being an editor in the future."