Fifty-Six

Songs: 

Say Something - A Great Big World ft. Christina Aguilera
Same Mistakes - One Direction
Right Now - One Direction 

| fifty-six |

As her lips opened to respond, her mind caught up to her body and she quickly backed away before she kissed him back. In an instant, her hand met with his cheek in bruise inducing slap. 

“What the hell!” Ava screamed. She jumped from his lap on the couch and backed away from him. Her mind was screaming I told you so’s and way to almost cheat. Her stomach churned. The popcorn that she had previously consumed was beginning to make it’s way back up her throat. 

“Ava, come on.” Mack reached out his hand for her, hoping she would take it. But instead, Ava only backed away farther. Her hazel eyes that were once clouded, were now clear as day. He kissed her.

“How dare you! How fucking dare you!”  Mack made his way closer to her. His hands reaching out for her own. “No. No! Get away from me.” She yelled. Her voice, that was once calm, was now manic. “Don’t you dare come close. I trusted you. I fucking trusted you.” 

“Ave, it was just a kiss.” He smirked. 

“A kiss?! I almost cheated on my boyfriend. I almost kissed you back! How dare you come into my home and kiss me knowing full well that I have a boyfriend.” Tears began to well up in her eyes. Her hands trembled at her side. Her heart was beating rapidly inside of her chest to the point where she almost believed it would pop out any moment. 

“You don’t deserve him, Ava. You don’t.” 

“Don’t you dare say that. You have no right! No fucking right to tell me who deserves me or not. I love him! We are friends. Damn it! We were friends. I can’t be friends with someone who would deliberately try to make me cheat on my boyfriend. That is not okay. You sick bastard!”

“Oh please, Ava. Don’t try to act all innocent. You knew full well how I feel about you. But you still came crawling back to me.”

That was it. That was enough to make Ava throw a vase towards Mack’s cocky head causing it to smash against the wall behind him. 

“Don’t you fucking dare say to me that I came crawling back to you. God! I should have known!” At this point, Ava was now in full tears. The guilt that was inside of her eating her up. The signs were all there. But she had been too stupid and naive to see it. 

“The moment,” she sniffed. “The moment that Harry drove away, you magically showed up at my car begging for forgiveness. I was just too naive to think that you deserved a second chance at being friends. You are a conniving, manipulative asshole and I should have known better to give you another shot at being my friend.” Her heart broke inside of her. Her head began to spin with possible reasons as to why he did this. “Just answer me this- why?” 

Instead of yelling back or standing up for himself, a dirty smirk began to plaster it’s way across his face. “Harry.” He states simply. 

His name causes Ava’s ears to perk. She looks up at him. Her brows furrowed and her eyes wide. “What?” She asked softly, her voice no higher than a whisper. “What about him?”

“I fucking hate that guy. He was sleeping with my cousin’s girlfriend. I figured the best way to get back at him was to get with his.” 

“What?” Ava could feel her whole body begin to shut down. Her heart breaking more than it did before. 

“Libby.” Her name was like acid on his tongue. The mention of her name brought the same anger and distaste that Ava had felt for her before. “He was fucking her even though she’s been dating my cousin since they were nineteen. When I saw you run away with Harry, my blood boiled. I knew that fully getting with you would be the revenge that my cousin would never have the balls to do. I’m not going to lie to you and say that I wasn’t attracted to you. I am, but I never was going to go after you.”