Forty-Two

He stared at Libby and didn't speak one word. He was speechless. Moments passed and he just stared at her. "You never mentioned a boyfriend." He spoke harshly to her. 

"It never came up." She took a piece of red hair that fell in front of her face and tucked it behind her ear.

"Bullshit." 

Harry got up from the bed and walked over to where his boxers laid. He pulled them up and ran a frustrated hand through his hair. He tugged at the ends roughly and allowed a loud sigh escaped his lips. His hands began to rub over his scruff. "Were you planning on letting me know that you have a boyfriend?" He asked. 

"Honestly?" He nodded. "No. I didn't think it mattered to be honest."

"How does you having a boyfriend not matter?" 

"I know perfectly well that this little set up wasn't going to last after the summer. When I left Seattle, I got into a fight with Sam because he wasn't going to visit me at all. So, when I saw you on the bus, I figured why not give it a shot. I have needs, you have needs, I figured we'd might as well help each other out for the summer. Then, when September came we'd go along our merry ol' ways and forget what happened." 

She sat down on the bed and patted the seat next to her. Harry hesitantly sat down beside her. She took his hand in her own and began to draw patterns along his palm. "If you're not into this, then we can stop. I'm sorry for not telling you sooner." 

He didn't say anything. He took the time to process what she had said. It was clear that she was on the same page as him when it came to the "terms" of their relationship. Neither one of them were looking for something emotional, it was all merely physical. He would be the first to admit that her body was a good distraction. He really didn't care that she had a boyfriend. It didn't surprise him really. He knew that all women were the same, that they were all out for the game; it was all about the chase. His terrible experiences with women in the past had proven that to him. 

Without giving her a chance to process what he was doing, he grabbed her wrist and pulled her onto his lap. Their faces were inches apart. His breathing heavy on her lips. Their eyes met; his being a deep green laced with lust and need. "Fuck it," his voice low and with that he connected their lips together. 

"Ava! Where's that 25 anniversary edition of the paper? It should be from 2009." It had been a week since Ava started her internship. It had been nothing but exciting, busy, and ridiculously stressful. The newsworld was face paced. If you weren't quick enough to keep up, it didn't bother to wait up for you. You had to keep up the pace. The news didn't wait for anyone. 

"Um, I think so." She looked underneath the massive pile of papers that sat infront of her. "Ah! Here it is." She walked over to where Stevie sat and placed the paper infront of her. "Do you have the December issue from last year?" 

"Yeah, here." She shoved it in her hands and quickly grabbed the paper she was looking for. 

"Thanks," Ava mumbled back. 

The tension that was hovered between the two did not ease up once. Ava honestly didn't know what to do. It wasn't like she had anything against Stevie. Frankly, she was happy that there was another intern to work with. One of the major concerns that she had before she moved was that she was going to be alone. Yet it seemed like one of the only possible friends she could have this summer could care less about her existence. 

"My ladies," Jax stood at door of their office with two big bags in his hands. "I bring coffee and donuts." 

"Bless you," Ava breathed out. She was tired, stressed, and on edge. Her alarm this morning didn't go off making her almost late for work. Thankfully Charles was ten minutes early and had called up to her room. Granted, it only gave her ten minutes to get dress and leave. Her stomach had been growling for the past hour and she needed coffee.