Chapter 38: Some Nights (2)

Shadows by Sabrina Carpenter

**********

Chapter 38
(Sophia's pov)

I watch the violin play a very fast song. Everyone in the room stopped talking enchanted by the violin player's solo. I hold my drink in my right hand and look around the room to see many people I knew either from the magazines or personally.

I then spot Skye and Noah on the other side of the room. I see Skye watching the piano player and then I see Noah pulling Skye closer to kiss her on the forehead. I look away not wanting to intrude on their little moment. I fix my eyes back on the musician sitting on the chair and felt my stomach churning at the thought of Noah letting me go.

'That's exactly what you wanted the whole time.' The little voice in the back of my head said.

I needed to get my mind off the thoughts in my head, not wanting to deal with it. I look around for Claire but I didn't see her anywhere but then my eyes land on Lucus who was talking to Evaline.

He whispers in her ear and she nods in agreement and leaves him to go do something I assumed he told her to take care of. Lucus catches my eyes and I smile at him. 

I then reluctively walk upto him going through all the people who were still watching the violin player. I mutter excuse me's and some people gave me weird looks when I passed through them. I reach Lucus and stand next to him. He doesn't say anything to me and I don't too, but we both watch the powerful song playing in front of us.

In about a few seconds later the song ends and everyone instantly claps for the player. A young women in about her mid twenties gets up from her seat and bows at everyone clapping. She then gets off floor with her violin, a gentleman helps her out by taking the seat to clear the dance floor for the next song.

Everyone around started talking about the powerful song that was just played. Then a soft tune was played, everyone but more specifically couples then started moving to the the dance floor as if they already knew a slow song was going to be played.

I watch couples as they got into the correct position and Lucus clears his throat beside me. I look at him to see if he was alright but I see he was actually stretching his hand out for me to take. I look at his hand confusingly.

"May I have this dance?" Lucus says politely. I was waiting for Lucus to laugh and say it was a joke, mentioning how he didn't want my cooties but he was completely serious.

He watched me cautiously with a look I couldn't despair and I look back at hand and take it. He smiles in relief and leads me to the dance floor. I wondered why he sighed gratefully when I took his hand but didn't think too much about it.

We reach the dance floor and I place my hand on his shoulder and he places his on my waist when the song plays. He leads first and we don't talk for a few seconds but then I intrude the silence between us by mentioning how well he dances.

"You dance very well, where did you learn how to dance?" I ask Lucus and look up at him to see he was already looking down at me.

"My mother taught me when I was about 10, for my aunt's wedding during the summer in Greece, wanting her wedding to be perfect." He says with a little sadness in his voice but then clears his voice when he caught himself.